Fighting rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbits

Reaction score
Here is what one reader sent in:
Can you tell me any problems your readers have said in the past abouttwo unaltered male rabbits fighting and how they solved this problem? Iwould like to get another rabbit so my male will have a companion toplay with. Neutering is not an option, I have heard problems can occurpost-op.

I would be hesitant to keep 2 intact malestogether. They may fight or continaully attempt to mount eachother. Very serious injury can result from bite or kickwounds.

I have seen a number of rabbits through surgery and, with anexperienced vet, success rates are very high and recovery israpid. I had recently took a friend's rabbit in which hadripped it's testicle open. A partial castration was done, andhe recovered very quickly. Also had adoe inrecently for a c-section who is doing very well.

Pam

http://www.geocities.com/pamnock/

I have a male dwarf who sprayed me once and I hadhim neutered, he is fine and 9 years old, had him neutered when he was2. He is very passive, he shared his home with a mini lop who justpassed. She was a good friend for him. I also had 2 females together,they fought alot, but not hard.

Hi reader, I had my male rabbit neuteredwhen he was about 1year old. He is 2 now and I have had noproblems so far. I can now hold him longer and he is not asskittish as he was before.RecentlyI havebeen able to trance him and cut his nails. That would havenever happened before. He is an active sweet bunny.He had to be neutered as he has a female companion who he loves tocuddle with. Hope this makes you feel better about havingyours neutered. Beckie

One of our bucks did develop some hemhorraging postoperatively, which caused some obvious swelling. He was given somemedication, and eventually the swelling subsided. He is fine, to thisday.

Castration is a surgical procedure, and as such entails some risk, butfarmers and breeders often used to do it themselves in the barn or inthe kitchen. It is not like neurosurgery, and, by and large, shouldpresent little or no difficulty.

The procedure reduces unwanted hormonal activities, increaseslongevity, and makes for a calmer, more placid pet. If one is not goingto breed, I cannot imagine why one would hesitate to neuter a buck,especially if you are already experiencing territorial aggression.

Buck:D

I had the exact same problem! Before Igive you a possible answer, I have a couple of suggestions.There is nothing wrong with getting your rab nuetered! Youcan fix the problems easily! Look around for the samequestions in the message board!

Nueter your animals! Help control the animal population!!:dude:

The absolute best thing you can do is neuter yourbunny. Surgery carries a risk, but it isn't as great as therisk of problems for an intact rabbit. He is at risk fortesticular cancer as well as an increased risk of other cancers fromthe heightened testosterone production. Neutering will mostlikely stop many unwanted behaviors such as spraying, mounting objects,some temperament issues. I wouldn't suggest putting intactmales together and often it doesn't work even with intactfemales. I have heard awful stories of the products of rabbitfights including many that have resulted in serious injury or death.

Jen

i wouldn't get another rabbit, i would get your bunny fixed as well. why isn't it an option if i may impose and ask?

Bunny's don't nesssarly need a "friend" you are his friend:) addinganother to the mix could stress him out not to mention the high rate ofthem fighting and quite possibly killing one another.

bonding rabbits takes alot of time and effort. on your part you'd haveto buy another cage for your new bunny (which can beveryexpensive ) so that he has a place to go until you successfully bondedthem. and to be honest i haven't heard of people having good luck withbonding males:) at least unaltered ones.

its funny you think of rabbits being cute and cuddly until you realizehow Territorial the little buggers can get then it seems like they growfangs.

i hope this helps you out let me know if you have any more questions

sara

When I joined this forum, one of the first posts I read was of agentleman who thought his rabbit needed companionship. He had gottenanother rabbit, and although they fought, he thought that eventually,they'd work it out.

One day, he woke up, and one rabbit was dead. It had stressed so muchby being dominated. The 'weaker' rabbit had a heart attack.The gentleman came onto the forum with a heavy heart realizing that heshould've left well-enough alone and regretted getting a mate for hisrabbit.

I had Tucker for years before I rescued other rabbits. I live with theguilt that I've changed Tucker's life. He used to be a veryaffectionate, well-trained rabbit. He's rebelled since he's gottensisters. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't've gottenattached to others. It's changed Tucker and I don't think he's as happyas he was when it was just him and I.

From what I've learned along the way, it's true that rabbits aresocial, but as long as they have someone to attach to - and that can bea human - then they're fine.

It's not easy to bond rabbits, as you know. Even with a male andfemale, you're taking a 50/50 chance of if it will work out.With two males, the only way to stop them from fighting is to separatethem.

If they're insistant about getting a companion for the male, wouldsuggest taking the male to a shelter with them and introduce therabbits that are up for adoption one-by-one to the male and let himpick his companion.

-Carolyn

I'm with everyone else here. I've heard of twocases of unneutered males having a bond and both times they'd beentogether since birth. It may not be impossible but odds are reallyagainst. I'm just not sure why neutering isn't an option as I've neverheard of any post op problems with it.

If the reader really wants a companion for their rabbit maybe analready spayed rescue rabbit would be a possible idea and they couldhave introductions to see if they were compatible?

I've read and come across examples of many happily single rabbits, andan unneutered buck isn't going to have playing as the main thing on hismind with another rabbit around anyway :?. Well I wouldn't have thoughtso, JMHO.

Kate

Latest posts

Back