Have now got a rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockiesmam

Reaction score
I visited a local pets store today to further my research on rabbits. We met with a shop worker who strongly advised to keep a baby rabbit inside until summer is here. They also sell the bunny micro chipped and with food, hay and bedding. I handled some of the rabbits that took my fancy to gauge their personality. There was a very slim white one with ginger ears and a ginger stripe. Very pretty but very skittish. Then there was a ginger one with sticky up ears with some black markings. Very gorgeous but very tense. Then there was a little grey one with slightly floppy ears. I held her and she was calm and gentle and very relaxed. She was also the smallest. Well we were taken with her so we have purchased her. She is 11 weeks old. She will live indoors to start with and will have a large garden run. She is fed on pellets and hay and we have been told not to overfeed her so she doesn't get bloat x

Congratulations! Your new bunny sounds adorable. That recommendation about not overfeeding her so she doesn't get bloat doesn't sound right to me. I'm not that experienced with rabbits, so hopefully someone else can comment on that. She should have hay available at all times. It's the best thing for bunnies and will not cause bloat. Some people free feed pellets to young bunnies like yours since they are still growing, but some do limit it so that they eat their hay too.

Thank u so much. I thought that too about food. They did seem knowledgeable so I'm wondering if I misheard. She is lovely rabbit. The same colour as a chinchilla. I shall attach a photo.

1398701654067.jpg

1398701665683.jpg

Congratulations on your new bunny!

Since you're in the UK, you're going to need to get her vaccinations for myxo and VHD - I don't know what the proper schedule for that would be, since we don't have them here in the USA. I'd suggest you check out the RWAF - http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ They're the British equivalent of our House Rabbit Society (you might want to subscribe to their Rabbiting On magazine - lots of good information).

You should consider having her spayed once the vet says she's old enough. Although statistics vary, every resource I've seen says that unspayed female rabbits have a very high rate of ovarian cancer - some say as high as 85% - so it's well worth it from a health viewpoint.

You can start introducing greens slowly into her diet from around 12 weeks! Some wait longer but mine were both fine with greens that early. Just make sure to start with small amounts, one at a time, to see how her digestive system goes with the green. :)

Latest posts

Back