considering a rabbit...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockiesmam

Reaction score
Hi there. I am thinking of having a rabbit but from my research I have found that keeping a rabbit is a huge responsibility. It hasn't put me off but I want to get it right. I have a few questions to put forward in the hope someone may help. Thank you.
1. I don't know which breed? I like the mini Rex and Dutch very much.
2. Is keeping two best?
3. It would have access to a large and enclosed rear garden. Is there anyway to prevent it eating the plants? My OH will not be pleased if this does happen so wondered if this can be prevented.
4. It would be kept outside with access to garden at all times. Would a dog kennel be suitable as a shelter area as opposed to a hutch?
Thank you

1. Choosing a breed is a personal thing, but also each rabbit has their own distinct personality so it can be a good idea to go into choosing a rabbit with an open mind about breeds and pick one who has a personality that you like (active and spunky, cuddly, calm and laid back).

2. The question of one or two is also a personal thing. Bonding can be difficult, but you may be able to adopt a bonded, neutered pair and have that job done for you.

3. I don't think there is any way to prevent a rabbit from eating plants except for fencing them off. Eating plants is their nature.

4. It would help to know your general location and climate to make recommendations for outdoor housing.

The idea of a hutch is that it keeps predators out. A dog kennel doesn't offer much protection from birds of prey/stray animals that might see you rabbit as an easy dinner. If you're going to keep your bun outside, you should provide it with very secure housing that it can hide in. If it doesn't feel safe, it might start digging burrows in your garden, which may spoil the aesthetics somewhat.

Couldn't you consider keeping the bunny indoors, and taking it out to the garden for a period of supervised romping time? That's what most members do. :)

1. Any breed of rabbit can make a great pet, but you should consider the size of the rabbit and the amount of care it requires. Large rabbits may be affectionate, laid back pets but they do require large cages, more room to exercise and more food. Very large breeds may be difficult to handle and prone to problems. Wool breeds require daily grooming. Some small breeds don’t do as well with young children as some of the slightly larger and hardier breeds like Dutch and Mini Lop.

2. It's fine to have more then one rabbit but you will have to neuter/ spay if you want to bond them and bonding takes time and patience. Not all rabbits bond. Keeping one rabbit is perfectly fine if you give him/her lots of attention :)

3. You could keep the rabbit in a fenced in area in your backyard so it doesn't have access to your garden, although rabbits do dig so I'm not sure if that would work.

4. I keep my rabbits outdoors and a lot of people are against this but it's perfectly fine, it's in their nature to be outside. I would suggest keeping the rabbit in a hutch to protect the rabbit from weather; snow, rain, wind, etc. It will also help protect from predators. Outdoor housing provides a safe area for rabbits to live, free from electrical cords, indoor pollutants, and overheating. Indoor housing is great also but outdoor housing is perfectly fine also! :) and most members don't keep their rabbits indoors, a lot keep them outdoors as well ;)

Last edited:
Breed is really up to you. If you like dutch and mini rex, then look at getting one of them. Both can make great pets and are generally popular, so should be fairly easy to find one. There really isn't a 'best' breed, just what each person likes.

While rabbits can be kept in pairs and groups, it can be hard to bond them. Both rabbits should be spayed or neutered and that can be expensive. It can also take months before they are ready to live together and some never bond. Getting 2 babies isn't a great option either as they tend to stop getting along once they become mature at around 4-6 months and can breed if they are opposite sexes. If you want 2 that are bonded, do some research on bonding and what it takes so you know what you could be getting into. If you are not prepared to keep 2 separate rabbits, you might not want to try bonding as it is a possibility that they won't get along.

You would need to fully block off any plants you don't want eaten of that would be unsafe for the rabbit to eat. Training them is not reliable and deterrents don't always work. If the area is more for the rabbit, it is best to not have unsafe plants or ones you don't want eaten around at all.

The area would need to be fully enclosed and rabbit safe. It would also need to offer protection from the elements. There are many risks to outdoor rabbits from predators to cold and heat. Some areas don't have a good climate for outdoor rabbits, and others are more suited to seasonal outdoor living. You do need to consider where you live and if it is a good climate for a rabbit. You could bring the rabbit inside, but they do tend to have to stay inside, especially during colder months, as they would not be acclimatized to the cold.

Thank you all so much. So my thoughts are, bunny will have to live outside although in winter he will have to come indoors weather dependent. I think, veubg a novice, I shall start with one. I am thinking of a larged fenced off area for him then. I just often think hutches look dark and miserable but thinking about predators is important so I shall go with a hutch and leave the doors open in the day but closed at night. I am looking in north of UK BTW. X

I got my rabbit and for the first month she is living indoor as she is very young and its cold where I live. I am ordering her an outdoor run so she can acclimatise gradually and I will also chose her a hutch for the garden. My husband is going to fence off a section of the garden and make it bunny proof her her. If this all goes OK we may look to bond her in the future. She is a dear little thing

Latest posts

Back