Rabbit laws in diffrent countries

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinibunny

Reaction score
So originally im from the United States but! i moved to Austria recently been here for about 6 months and upon looking for a bun for me i realsied how strict they are about pet laws exp on buns.

So here is the Bunny laws in Austria that i know of :)!!

Maximum of 2 or more bunnies (you cannot adopt one they say bunnies would get depressed and they are sociablal animals)

Female rabbits can NOT get spayed at all (they find it torture to the rabbit)

They also go through repitible breeders for animals.

So curious is their bunny laws where you live? I just thought it was a fun fact to know :rabbithop

rabbits are illegal to keep in the state of QLD Australia. something like a $30,000 fine.
You can keep them in all other states. But Australia defines all rabbits as a PEST SPECIES.

Wow i didnt know rabbits where illigal in Austrialia....is it because of the mob of frogs in Austriala i heard that got imported over there?

Not really any specific rabbit laws around here. Most laws would be general animal welfare. Some areas may limit the number of rabbits that can be on a property, but it usually also applies to cats and dogs as well. Some cities do have laws about pet stores selling animals, and rabbits may be included in those.
Mostly, laws are about the rabbits getting decent care (food, water, cleaning cage), and that there are not too many on a property or in a house.

Wow i didnt know rabbits where illigal in Austrialia....is it because of the mob of frogs in Austriala i heard that got imported over there?

It's a similar thing. Wild rabbits have spread all across mainland Australia and have done large amounts of damage to the natural environment and to agricultural practices. Along with foxes and feral cats and cane toads, they're the biggest introduced threat to native wildlife.

Not too long after they were first introduced, this country had rabbits in plague proportions, which is why they introduced viruses to help control the population. There's a video here (not suitable for viewers who don't like to see rabbit's hunted) The rabbit part of the video is only about 3 minutes long (you'll have to copy and paste the url, I didn't want the video directly showing up in the thread). [url..]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmYld25z-JU&t=2m0s[/url]

It's also against the law to vaccinate for myxomatosis in this country, because it's feared that the immunity could be passed on to the wild population. And yet every year, possibly hundreds of rabbits owners lose their pets to the disease.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back