New 13week indoor bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendysaurman

Reaction score
Hi - We just started getting some digging in corners so I took a big box and put some shredded paper in and all she did was eat it and poop. She uses Care Fresh natural wood fibers to quickly absorb moisture for litter right now. What do you suggest I do differently? I don't really want to use dirt. I don't want to use carpet in a box because she might eat the fibers.

She also loves to lick us. We have started to feel teeth when she gets to the end of a finger. What is the best way to discipline or stop biting. We just put her back in the cage.

Thanks, Wendy

How long have you had her? The first couple days, it is best to keep her in her cage so she can get adjusted to her new surroundings in the "safety" of her cage. This also allows her to establish the cage as her territory. This will be most helpful when it comes to litter training and for exercise time.

I'm not clear on what you're referring to about the corners. Do you mean corners of her cage or corners of a room? It is helpful to only gradually introduce a rabbit to roaming about. You need to go slowly to establish that potty routine and proper behavior. Start with a limited area by using an exercise pen. She won't have access to corners this way.

Do you have a litter box for her? It sounds like you might need a brush up on a number of tips.

Might I suggest you take a browse around my website. There are instructions for litter training, how to handle exercise time, bonding with your bunny, understanding bunny body language. I think it will provide much info that will be helpful.

If she is nipping, then she is exploring. Give a high pitched yelp and that should teach her (after a few times) that that isn't acceptable. A bite is different than a nip. A bite is aggressive and will draw blood. But it doesn't sound like that is what you are describing?

Her hormones will now (or very soon) be activating. This can alter her personality and you may see more aggression. Time to start looking for a vet to perform spay surgery in the next couple months.

Only addition to the above statement is about digging. If it's in a room you can put some tile pieces or wood down. We use a gigantic litter box and fill it with shredded newspaper. Ours will dig, relax, and chew. We had one that would get under the paper and move all around and then pop up thru the paper--she had hours and hours of fun.

Latest posts

Back