Found a bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enh98

Reaction score
My parents found a bunny with a tattoo in its ear. Is there a way to trace breeder tattoos? Does ARBA have a database of some sort if it's a show bunny? He looks very healthy and well kept. A holland lop, I believe. Thanks!

Tattoos are generally just used for identification when showing them. The only way possible is if the rabbit is registered with the ARBA then you may be able to somehow find the owner, I'm not sure how that works. If the rabbit looks healthy like it hasn't been long since it ate last then I'm sure it hasn't been away from home for long. Maybe contact a few breeders in your area :)

A rabbit that is registered will have a tattoo in the left ear but also an R with a circle around it or more numbers in the right ear. This is the only way to track a rabbit to ARBA. If it's not registered then I agree with contacting breeders in your area and seeing if they had a missing rabbit. Another way is to post a picture of the tattoo on the ARBA members Facebook and seeing if anyone recognizes the tattoo (I would just picture the tattoo and not the rabbit)

Do vets in the area still tattoo pets for identification? If so, it might be worth a call to the local SPCA or local vet clinic.

(I think a lot of places have moved on to microchipping, though, so maybe this is a shot in the dark)

Over here rabbits also get tattoos when they're desexed, and you also have the option of getting them tattooed when they've been microchipped. So it's at least worth searching for an owner, look on the local lost and found pages or even taking to a vet to check for a microchip.

Latest posts

Back