Rabbit drinking pee But not water? O_O

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThisIsARandomName

Reaction score
Yesterday he was drinking fine but today he won't even look at his water bowel! He's eating okay but not drinking. Last hour i noticed him drinking his pee, I made him stop and cleaned the place but he's still drinking his pee can anyone tell me why? Whenever i show him water bowel or anything that has water in it; He will run away and hide somewhere. He's only drinking his pee, Is it normal?

That's weird. Could it be chemicals in the water, residue from dish soap, or bacterial growth in the water if the bowl hasn't been scrubbed in a while?

I'd be worried he's dehydrated if he's resorting to drinking pee. If he really won't drink from a bowl, wet some dark leafy veggies in water and give them to him so he gets some moisture.

Is he hitting puberty? I cant say my Conan stopped drinking water (are you sure yours isnt drinking? They're sneaky at times) but he did lap up his pee a few times. My breeder and Vet both said that some bucks do this when they hit puberty because they like the taste, makes them feel manly or something. It was strange, but he outgrew it.

Rabbits are animals that practice coprophagy, which means they will frequently ingest their own feces to obtain nutrients that their digestive system missed the first time through. This is not normally practiced with urine, but urine is also used as a territorial or marking spray. Many animals lick urine to get all the "facts" that are in it, such as what kind of animal it was, and if the animal is a threat or not.

I wouldn't be worried about this, unless you notice his water intake drop, which you say you have. Is he starting to drink water normally? Has anything changed? Try a bowl of water and a water bottle. Also, wet down some veggies and feed him them. I would start to worry if he doesn't start drinking soon. He maybe should see a vet.

Latest posts

Back