climbing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peapoo_bunny

Reaction score
when i bought my bunny the woman at the petstorekept telling me that bunnies couldnt and wouldnt climb on anything. shemade sure that i knew they couldnt climb, and kept suggesting that ididnt get a cage with different levels (i didnt). do your bunnies climb?

Mine leap! They jump up on anythingthey can reach. They love to hop up on the couch and watch alittle TV. Their cage has three levels. One levelhas a ramp, but the other one doesn't, so they just jump up.

Laura

peapoo_bunny wrote:
when i bought my bunny the woman at the petstore kepttelling me that bunnies couldnt and wouldnt climb on anything. she madesure that i knew they couldnt climb, and kept suggesting that i didntget a cage with different levels (i didnt). do your bunniesclimb?
Bunnies can climb and hop to different levels in a cage so the personyou talked to did not really know what they were talking about orhans't had contact with many rabbits.

Not only that, but one of my rabbits actually climbs fencing. Hence why I've had to improvise:

ZoeyDec1870.jpg

So yes rabbits can climb and a cage with different levels will be fine for your rabbit, they liketo be high.

Most rabbits love to have different levels intheir cages. Provides more area for them without taking up any moreground space for you. The person at the petstore obviously didn't knowwhat she was talking about. I have no idea where she got the idearabbits don't like different level cages but I can almost guaranteepeapoo would like a multi-storey living space. I'd suggest making ityourself, though.

From a previous post:

This may sound like a stupid question, but how can high can abunny jump from the ground? I am trying to make an indoor play area forBlackie as I have dogs and don't want take the chance of an unpleasantencounter between them.

Thanks,

Mary

We've had rabbits escape over a 3 ft. enclosure. In some cases, theyhave actually *climbed* up and over the fence. (Believe it ornot, rabbits are ratheradept climbers).

Pam (Nock)

Another note from Pamnock:

Here's an excerpt from the following site

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-6/chew-stick.html

Climbing.
Outgoing, rambunctious rabbits like to climb furniture, challengingthe general statement that rabbits are happiest on the ground. Likemountain climbers, they enjoy both the thrill of the climb and the viewfrom the top. Set up a series of boxes which are stabilized at thebottom, so that your rabbit can safely climb from level to level. Somecommercial cat trees are great for rabbits as well, as they provideperches at the top of each level. You can use ramps to help your littleexplorer get onto the tops of things (his cage, for example, coveredwith a rug), or you can use a ramp and perch combination as an end initself. And you can easily build a little condo, out of wood or (fortemporary use until it's destroyed) cardboard, with holes in the sidefor lookouts, ramps connecting the floors, and a "sundeck" on top toview the world.

From another sitehttp://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Sylvilagus_bachmani.html

"When pursued, brush rabbits climb trees and scrubs."

MyBunnyBoys wrote:
Not only that, but one of my rabbits actually climbs fencing. Hence why I've had to improvise:
:laugh:
Our Tootsie likes to climb up the side of her x-pen and look over the top at me while I'm filling food bowls in the morning.

thanks everybody. peapoo does climbalot.. i dunno what that woman was talking about. the other day we kepthearing sumthing in the kitchen and finally realised peapoo had climbedover a bunch of boxes and was playing in the paper bags wehavein the cabinet:elephantslide:

Pebbles is pretty much a stay on theground bunny. She likes to tunnel trough boxes andthings and she likes to sit under herstool when she sleeps.

She willgo up and down the stairs, but sheisn't a climber for anything higher. Shedoesn't like to jump down fromhighthings, so we have no problem leaving herinhercage with the top off when we arehome. Her cage sits 2 1/2 feetoff the floor.

Rainbows! :)

i would call that petstore back and tell her tostop giving out false information. as you can see from this thread lotsof rabbits love to climb...mine included. i just built him a new cagethat has different levels and he spends all his time on the upperlevel. he also tries to climb the walls LOL. if you notice that yourbun likes to climb i would make him/her a cage with levels. it'scheaper than buying one and easy :) i think there's a thread with lotsof examples and materials you would need.

Haha! I wish mine didn't like toclimb! ...My entertainment center is a daily rock climbingadventure for the both of them. For Freddy, my bed is a hurdle in hisbunny 500 run and when Vicky feels she has the muster to try and jumpup she ends up scaling the last few inches if the mattress to get ontop(of course before i can grab her and help her up)

If they could, they would climb the walls! ;)

Our bunnies like to jump, they jump onthe lounge, and they do climb over boxes, don't be fooled by their cutelittle faces, like it has been said some rabbits are expert climbersand jumpers!

I was crouched over the other day, in the midstof cleaning the cats' litter box (not my most favorite task in theworld), when I suddenly felt someone pawing me from the side. Before Icould turn to look, that 'someone' was scrambling right up the side ofme and onto my back...Raph! Silly little bugger. But he lost hisbalance as quickly as he had scaled Mount Mom, and toppled off.

The boy does like to keep me entertained. ;)

Bassetluv wrote:
I was crouched over the other day, in the midst of cleaning thecats' litter box (not my most favorite task in the world), when Isuddenly felt someone pawing me from the side. Before I could turn tolook, that 'someone' was scrambling right up the side of me and onto myback...Raph! Silly little bugger. But he lost his balance as quickly ashe had scaled Mount Mom, and toppled off.

The boy does like to keep me entertained. ;)

:laugh: I've had almost the exact same thing happen to me!

Each one of my buns has their own perspective on jumping/climbing. Someare more comfortable with it than others. LOL, I just remembered thisstory: I took my little Zealand to the vet for a check-up (she weighsall of three pounds) and she hates the slippery table at the vet. Wellshe sat up, looked right at me standing there by her, and ZOINKS leapedup ON TOP of my head!! The vet got a good chuckle out of that one!

Latest posts

Back