How much food is too much

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have 2 little bunnies. They are 5weeks old. I have put some rabbit pellet food out in afeeding bin (a handful). I have put Timothy oat for beddingthat they are eating. I am also feeding them a handful ofalfalfa, several sprigs of parsley and a small bowl of cubed smallstrawberry pieces (today they had 2 bowls of strawberries).They eat up everything that I put in for them (not all the timothy oat,but alot of it. I am afraid if i give them too much more thatI will overstuff them. They are tiny, they each still fit inmy hand. If someone could list how much i shouldfood i should put in and how many times a day i would appreciate itvery much :).

Thanks,

San :)

At 5 weeks they can eat all the pellets they canstuff into their bellys all day long! :)(what breed are they?if smaller you can start limiting around 6 months ..larger breedsfree-feed until about a year)

And regardless of age, they can have as much hayas they want..alfalfa is good for now but around 6 months you should switch totimothy hay b/c it has less protein.

I would cut back on the amount of fruit you are giving them. i am surethey love it, but too much of a good thing is bad ...at their age andsize maybe half a strawberry eacha day is good for them..otherwise you could upset their digestive system

Freddy's mom,

Thanks, for the help. I will limit the fruit :)

Is the Timothy oat okay to use for bedding or is there a better bedding material to use.

I am not sure what breed that they are. I know they aresuppose to get very very big. I will check intofinding out.

Are they indoor or outdoor rabbits?

If they are inside, you can use a nice fleecy blanket for bedding orsuper pet makes a product called cuddle-e-cup that is nice (if they goto the bathroom on it, you can put it right in the washer).

I would just be worried about using the hay for bedding, b/c they couldurinate on it and then possibly eat it and make them sick.

But if they are outdoor they def. need the hay to be able to burrow into to keep warm.

Also, are you housing the babies together? within the next few weeksyou should separate them as it could be possible for one to becomepregnant. if you are worried about them snuggling, you can buy a littlestuffed animal for them to lay with when they are separated.

p.s. thank you for the thank you .. more than happy to help :)

San, unlimited pellets and hay are good for young bunnies, they should have access to food and water anytime they like.

Like Freddysmom said cut back on the amount of fruit for now, but don'tworry about the pellets and hay, let them eat as much as they like.;)

Wow, you guys respond so fast. Thanksfor all the help, i will for sure look into a nice blanket for thebunnies :) They are indoor rabbits. I take them outevery chance that i get, but we have 3 cats that we are trying tointroduce them to slowly. I open the cage door and only pickthem up when they head to the door. Most of the time theyseem to be munching on food. So far things aregoing well with the cats. The cats usually spend alot of theday in our bedroom and since we have put the bunnies in our livingroom, the cats tend to spend more time in the living room.They have not bothered the bunnies. On occasion they will sniff thebunnies through the cage. We have an outdoor cage inside andhave put placemats under 1/2 the cage so that they are not walking onthe cage floor all the time. The seem to be using the litterbox to wet in.

Thanks again, you guys are awesome.

Shuu,

Thanks for the link. Wow, mine look like quite a few diff.breeds. Mine are small black with gry on the feet. They havethin ears and are super soft. I named them Velvet and Ashes.

Feel free to post pictures also. Most times we can Identify the rabbit , unlessits a really mixed up cross breed .

from the discription you gaveUntil I see them , it sounds like Rex bunnies .either Mini or Standards .

Latest posts

Back