Guardian Horse Bedding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlopsnWills

Reaction score
I've been thinking about switching littersagain, because I have yet found the perfect one. Right now I'm usingregular aspen shavings, and they would be alright I guess but Charlieis so darn messy with them. He likes to roll around in his litterboxand then his butt trails the shavings all over my bedroom. If it wasjust Willy, I would probably stick with the aspen. Anyway though, thepoint of this post is I found a Guardian Horse Bedding dealer prettyclose to me and I'm wondering if people like it. What is it made of andmost importantly does it smell like pine at all? William refuses to usehis box if the litter has a tint of pine smell. Also how much is it andhow big are the bags? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just reallyinterested :)

When I lived up in NY, the lady I adopted two ofmy buns from suggested using wood stove pellets as litter. We were ableto get 40lb bags for about $4 (that was three years ago). I live inFlorida now, and wood stove pellets are hard to find. I've switched tosome kind of wood pellets that are used for horse bedding (not guardianthough), that are about $6 for a 20lb bag (similiar to Feline Pine butno smell).

Hi I use Guardian for my two bunnies.. I don'tnotice a pine smell at all. I think it keeps thesmell from bunnies down quite a bit, but mine don't always use thelittle box so they pee and poop on the newspaper on the bottom of thiercage. So sometimes that smells if I slack on changingit. I want to say it cost me about 6 pr 7 dollarsfora 40 lb bag. I usually get bunny foodat the same time so I remember spending 13 for the litter and thefood.I used to use carefreshbut when I added my second bunny I just couldnt afford thatanymore. I would give it a try. I am gladI did.

Cristy

thanks so much for the quick replies! im reallyglad you said you cant smell a pine smell cuz otherwise william wouldpee wherever, hes such a fussy little brat brat. i think im gonna givethem a call and see if they have any in stock. thanks so much guys!

No problem.. if you get it, you will need to letus know how it works for you. It's funny yourbunny's name is William, my oldest son is William so when you sayWilliam will pee all over, i get a visual of my son peeing all over:nonono:

Cristy

LOL! too funny! well, she has it! yay! she toldme i could buy 5 bags at a time, all being 5 dollars each and they're40 pound bags.. thats SO much cheaper than all those bags of yesterdaysnews i bought for my boys! she asked me how many horses i had and isaid "actually i have rabbits and other rabbit owners recommended it"and she said she uses it for her horses and her birds and its great foreverything. (i just hope william doesnt smell any sort of pinewhatsoever, otherwise ill be cleaning up his pee pee spots)

Do you have to buy 5 bags at a time? How manybunnies do you have? I think a bag lasted me at least 4months.. So I can see five lasting me years. That's seemslike a lot to bring home before you try it..

Cristy

well i bought 4 bags because i had a 20 and itseemed convenient. i smell pine so im a bit weary and im letting it airout before i use it in williams pan.. i already put some in charliespan because hes not as fussy. oh well, if william hates it i can stilluse it for charlie. i wont have to buy litter for a longgggggg time! itwas a nice experience buying it too because she had SO many happyanimals.. a pretty white cat, 2 happy hyper dogs, birds, 2 swans, andshe breeds miniature horses and they were TOO CUTE with their puffybangs!

I thought pine was a no no cuz of the phenols init? I know I refuse to bring it in my home and cedar, becauseI have rats also plus my allergies cannot take it.

ratmom wrote:
Ithought pine was a no no cuz of the phenols in it? I know Irefuse to bring it in my home and cedar, because I have rats also plusmy allergies cannot take it.

My understanding is that it's the shavings that can be harmful(pine or cedar). But the litters that are in pelletform are heat treated, so the harmful oils are removed. I useExquisicat, which is the Pet's Mart brand equivalent of Feline Pine andam really satisfied with it. It has to have hay over the topof it though so they don't track it all over the place. I'massuming the Guardian horse bedding is similar to the Feline Pine typesof litter (and Woody Pet)?

yeah, i really like it so far.. (even though itsonly been 1 day)you should give it a try kim, especiallysince you like feline pine.. its pretty much the same thing only not asstrong smelling. i heard woody pet has lost its quality and has smallerpellets, but guardian looks exactly like feline pine.

ratmom- you're right about the pine and cedar shavings, but the pinepellets are safe since the harmful oils are removed. charlie doesntcare about the smell but i put some in willys box lastnight and putaspen shavings over it so disguise it and he still peed in the othercorner.. he is really something else. i finally got him used to goingin the litterbox and now since it smells like pine he's showing mewho's boss. i am not giving into him!!

I am glad you are liking it so far. Ithas really saved me a lot of money and has made thier cages cleanercause I can change it as it needs to instead on what money Ihave. Too bad William is being a naughty bunny:nonono: Have you ever tried to move the littlerbox to his favorite corner?

Cristy

ive tried everything under the sun with williamslitterbox habits. hes just a little hard headed bun bun, but i acceptit. he was just getting the hang of it and then i switched litters onhim.. should i try to stick with it or give up and put aspen in his box?

I was just wondering I was thinking of tryingwoody pet, but I heard it gets to dusty esp for rats. I knowI have rescued many rats that came to me on pine and breathing thatstuff made me feel awful like I had asthma and I don't even haveit. So I don't bring any kind of wood bedding in my home, cuzmy allergies can't take it.Even aspen bugs me Itriedsani chips and the shredded stuff too. I use a paperbedding thoughcalled alpha dri and I really like it :)

Latest posts

Back