Suggestions to keep bun with wound happy & content

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauren8165

Lauren & Buns
Reaction score
Long story short, my buns had an accident on Tuesday and has a bad wound on his eye. He went straight to the vet and was put on antibiotics, pain meds and antibiotic ointment. He has healed a decent amount since it happened on Tuesday, but I am driving myself crazy and completely consumed with trying/thinking of anything that I can do, outside of his meds, to make him as content and pain free as possible. I am pretty much constantly loving on him and checking/cleaning his eye (which I know that part doesn't make him content whatsoever) and am always wondering if I am helping him relax or if I am stressing him out and it be better if I just left him alone? Sometimes I think he acts like he enjoys the affection, but the majority of the time I can't tell if he does or not. He is staying in a corner of the room/under a dresser with his food and water and I also have a sheet draped over his area so that is dark and he feels as safe as possible. I know bunnies can have high anxiety when injured, because they know they are vulnerable, so I'm trying to keep him hidden.

So, my question is: have I covered all the basics to keep him relaxed as possible or are there other things I can be doing..and..should I leave him alone or love on him a lot?

I would just treat him like normal and just keep an eye on him making sure he is doing ok. If he likes the extra attention and you want to give it to him, then that's fine. If he doesn't like it them give him some space. It's usually pretty easy to tell if a rabbit thinks you are bugging them. They may use their nose to nudge your hand away from them, thump or foot flick at you, turn their butt to you and look back at you to make sure you are watching them, or just want to try and hop away from you. I content bun will usually just settle down next to you while you continue giving nice head rubs, and may close their eyes contentedly.

Ok. I have had him turn his back to me a few times and that is when I knew to leave him alone. I'd say overall, he must be enjoying the attention then. We are off to the vet again now too. Thank you for the reply. I am really really having a hard time with this.

Latest posts

Back