What should a rabbit hutch have?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermelin

Reaction score
Hey, I’m wondering what a rabbit hutch outdoor should have, I know about weather proof and isolation in one room which stay warm during winter.

The hutch will be an open bottom so the bottom part will have mesh attached and will be covered with earth and grass. But what should the hutch have so the rabbits can play and jump around, will it need a shelf they should be able to sitt on or a house which they can hide when they are at the bottom of the hutch.

The bottom part of the hutch it’s 100 sq ft and the living part will be 18 sq ft.

I need tips and ideas on how to make it a lovely rabbit home :3

I would not put earth and grass on the mesh. A couple of ceramic tiles will work much better.

The mesh will be under ground but still attached with the cage so the rabbits can dig and have fresh grass while it keep the predators outside and the rabbits in the cage. Had it before and it worked really well and the rabbits could dig a little if they wanted. If I just place them on tiles they won’t get grass as often and it won’t be soft to their tiny paws. The rabbits will be litter trained, so no problem with keeping it clean in the cage and the botttom part won’t get filled with rabbit poop because they will use their litter boxes instead.

I would make sure they have an area where they can completely get out of the weather such as rain and wind. Also plan for the heat of summer. I way to hand a tarp above it to provide shade, frozen plastic water bottles, etc. If part of the hutch has wire flooring other than the lower part covered in grass you want to make sure they have a solid area of flooring to rest on to avoid issues with their feet. Maybe build a small raised planting bed you could cover at times with wire. Plant rabbit safe veggies. Remove the cover now and then so they can nibble but without eating the whole plant. Maybe a tunnel of sorts they can lay in but still observe their surroundings from

They have a living area which protects them from weather and one room which it’s isolated and will stay warm during the cold winters, and that floor will be wood. Smart idea with a planting bed and a tunnel :3

Latest posts

Back