Bunny preferring certain genres of music?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judson

Reaction score
I got my 2 month old holland lop, Beetlejuice, around two weeks ago. He was very shy and cautious at first, but now he's probably the goofiest little pet I've ever owned. He likes to run all over the place and destroy his makeshift house I put together with loose cardboard boxes (it isn't held together by anything because I found out he really likes to pull it all apart and watch me put it back together again lol). However, yesterday, I was listening to music and when I put on classic rock, he went absolutely nuts. I'm talking running back and forth so fast he was a blur. He was kicking so high he was actually above than my coffee table. It was so intense that I turned the music off thinking he was actually pissed, and when it stopped, he ran straight up to me and started digging into my thigh (I sit on the ground with him because he isn't allowed up on the couch until he gets neutered and I think it's unfair for me to be up there without him). I turned it back on and he went nuts again.

I was just curious if anyone else's rabbits do this to music or certain genres? I tried to play some modern pop and he looked like he could care less, but when a guitar solo comes on he's a little maniac!

My rabbits haven't responded much to music, but they appear to not mind lighter or accoustic music with melodic vocals. I play Kari Rueslatten or lighter Blind Guardian tracks when I have them in the car.

I really should experiment with this more...

I know mine prefer music to silence, but that's because I prefer music to silence, so my music is always playing. But it wouldn't surprise me if animals had a preference to different music types-- they can, after all, hear.

Yes! Rabbits are definitely particular to the kind of music, but I think it's more about how it sounds to them, than the genre of music. We have one rabbit who loves Disney music especially a song from Tangled. Another of our past rabbits loved Adele. One of our females does not like anything from Justin Bieber or anything with a rap beat. Our old man doesn't seem to care one way or another, but we think he might be going a bit deaf in his old age, so that could be why.

It's hard to tell whether they are scared of it, or want to listen to it. You will have to look at their body language - are the ears back, are the eyes wide open like they are scared? Are they trying to get away from it? Do they thump on the ground when you play it? Or, are they doing binkies everywhere?
I believe rabbits can try to communicate what they want. Our littlest bun chews on the bars of her cage if she wants her fan turned on, or sometimes if she wants something else. She doesn't do it any other time except to communicate her needs. So, I think the same goes with music. You just have to really pay attention to their body language.

Most of my rabbits weren’t interested in music and preferred us to be quiet. They wouldn’t sit near the stereo when it was on and were obviously startled by loud noises.

My brother plays heavy metal to his rabbit and has taught her to head bang. She doesn't seem to mind

Mine however hates anything with a dance beat to it. She will start thumping and eventually hide behind the furniture

Latest posts

Back