Neutered male humping other much older male, what to do...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manda!

Reaction score
Hi!

I've been trying to bond two neutered males, they are 10 and 3 years old. Everything has gone well, and they seem to like each other. They run around together and they cuddle often.

They've been living in the same house for 2 years. Two months ago I started bonding them little by little. And now they have been few days together in the same room.

But I've been worried about the older bunny. He just turned 10 years old, and of course it can be seen that he is not young anymore, and I'm afraid he can't defend himself if something happens. Today I noticed that the younger male started humping the older one. And this young bunny went all crazy, somehow his hormone levels rise... And he really thought he was doing babybunnies with another male. :confused: I've bonded many bunnies and I have seen what is it like when rabbits dominate each other and hump each other. But this was not like that.

I took them apart this night, because the younger one didn't seem to calm down, even if I hold him for a while. He started mounting the other rabbit again and again..

I was wondering, If anyone of you have experiences of something like this. What should I do, keep them apart or try if the younger calms down? :ponder:

I was so happy to get them be together, and they seemed happy too. But I wouldn't want to take a risk that something bad happens to the older bunny, because he is weaker...

He was neutered about 2 years ago when I got him. He hasn't had had other bunny friends before. And because this older rabbit's friends have passed away, I wanted to see if I can bond them, so they won't have to live seperated all the time..

Thanks for sharing your experience! I guess you're right... Today I let them be together, but only when I was around. They seemed okay now and younger bunny did not start humping this time. But I think I can't let them be in same space without supervision, just for safety.. :/

Latest posts

Back