Shelters

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeckyWeber

Reaction score
Any advice on what to do for outdoor domestic rabbits for a shelter from the winter weather. They have cages, but I know they like to dig and go underground. I would like something they can crawl into to keep warm.

How cold does it get where you are? Rabbits tend to tolerate cold well so long as you don't change their temperatures too much (e.g. bring them inside at night and outside in the day-- that's too much of a shift for them!). Most hutches lined with straw or hay keep warm enough, generally.

I live in Texas. Normally the winters are not that bad, but we are expecting temps down into the upper teens/lower 20 for the next week. I have 9 rabbits which is why they cannot come live inside. They are always outside. Some are in cages that are covered with blankets and tarps to keep the rain away. 5 of them have the run in the enclosure but do have a cage to get into which is also covered with blankets and a tarp.

Since it's getting that cold and they don't have an official hutch (with solid paneling, rather than bars), would you be able to bring them into a garage just for the few days it will be getting down that low? Particularly since they aren't (I'm assuming) used to those temperatures (where I'm at, that's the high for the day all week, so rabbits here are used to that-- although mine are spoiled rotten indoor bunnies :p ).

Latest posts

Back