Say hello to Chip...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, just wanted to finally post about our latest rescue. He is a friendly and outgoing adult male that we adopted from the Edmonton humane society about 2 weeks ago. There his name was Jimminy but we decided to call him Chip. Why? Because we are big fans of the show Baskets.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he is a lion lop with a chinchilla coat.
The humane society said he was left there at their desk in a box along with another rabbit by some guy who took off before paying the surrender fee or giving any information. He was treated for an ear abscess. His other ear is missing its tip also. He was neutered at the end of January and then spent time in a foster home while his ear healed up. My guess is that he was attacked by or fought with the other rabbit due to hormones and that the previous owner wanted to get rid of the problem. But who knows. The other rabbit got adopted out much sooner according to them.
Chip is a real explorer. He has escaped most barriers we put up and likes to go all over the house. Slippery floors don't faze him. Neither do stairs. He is a voracious eater and tries to chew house plants so I have to put those away. Other than that he doesn't nip at much else. He gives bunny kisses which is so sweet. He follows us around running circles and honking when he wants something.
We got him as a potential mate for our female Cali. They are living side by side right now and we plan to start bonding them this weekend. We moved them to our finished and carpeted basement because Cali is really territorial, but I hope to move them upstairs once their bond is solid. We tried two other rabbits with her before but had to return them after terrible fighting. This one seems sweet and possibly submissive, like he would just rather explore and have adventures rather than fight. Wish us luck but we like him so much we are keeping him even if they can't bond.
Anyway long long story short here's Chip. I hope to post all about his adventures and the bonding experience.

IMG_1847.jpg

he is adorable! his coat looks so fluffy! love that little face!!

Chip is quite the adventurer. We've rabbit proofed three floors to keep his wandering safe. It's convenient because we are at the same time baby proofing for our 10 month old baby. We got him one of those water dishes with the upside down bottle attached. He loves it, he's a big drinker and hay eater and appreciates fresh clean water. Last night we made a brief introduction to Cali. She growled at him twice. She's a grumpy stubborn thing. But we will persist. Chip is a lover not a fighter, so I think slowly and with a lot of patience they may learn to live together.

Chip is a stud. Love his chinchilla coloring.
We have a lop as well, and I adore their ears. Hope he and Cali are fast friends!

Thanks everyone. Chip and Cali have had 5 dates so far. My husband and I are so frustrated with her. She has lashed out and bitten him twice. I have the squirt bottle ready but she shows no warning signs. She just strikes like a cobra. He doesn't fight back, he just plays the victim. I put out a nice plate filled with hay, wheat grass and pellets for them to share and to give them a social activity. Chip chows down and Cali eats a bit then goes back to sulking. I feel a car ride is necessary but that requires two people and one of us has to stay home with the baby. Maybe on the weekend we will all go for a ride. This bonding thing is stressful. Why is Cali being so difficult?? She's just mean. Any other tips for dealing with a territorial and aggressive doe?? I'm not ready to give up or anything. I just feel like I need a fresh approach.

Chip was lifting his butt too high when peeing and he got the baseboard a couple times. My husband freaked so I had to go and shell out $40 for two new high back cat litter boxes. The ones they sell for bunnies are so ridiculously small! Only a baby dwarf breed would have enough room in those!

I put the litter boxes inside a cardboard box and cut a doorway-the high sides keep everything contained and the box is something they can chew on and is easily replaced. A couple of ours would be inside the pan but the nether region would be close to the side or hanging over--problem solved.

Chip is doing really well. He has settled in nicely and accepted us as his family. Except Cali of course, they still live apart in side by side large enclosures. We switch them out every evening so they can live in each other's stinkiness. Just kidding their homes are quite clean. Anyway chip has grown back all his fur and his ear abscess has thus far not returned. He looks like he's gained some weight too which is great. He turns into a dancing bear for a treat, he has such a great appetite. He has learned that our daughter is a bit of an ear and fur grabber so even though she is learning to be gentle with him he still hops just far enough out of reach. Some evenings he even turns into a lap rabbit for ten minutes or so, never had one of those! So he's doing well and he's very loved here. Soon we will try bonding chip and Cali again but for now I think they are ok.

Latest posts

Back