Furgie chews on choroplast

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flemish giant

Reaction score
Has anyone had this issue? I thought about putting wood on the inside and replacing it as she chews it, but I don't know what would be safe. I also thought about putting tiles around the sides but I don't know what would be safe to use to adhere it. Any ideas? I don't think she is ingesting it because there's crumbs everywhere, but it's really annoying.
Thanks!

I see. You basically have a guinea pig "C&C" cage (the two 'C's being for Cubes and Coroplast).

Personally, I don't favor coroplast for rabbits because they do chew it and it is very slippery -- sometimes even with fleece on top as the fleece may slip about.

'NIC' is often the term used for cube cages for rabbits (NIC standing for the brand name of Neat Idea Cubes).

Here is a tutorial for how to make a NIC cage:
http://breyfamily.net/bunnycage.html

It is basically just about identical to what you have except for the coroplast. Instead, they use wood, or wood with lino or vinyl stick tiles, or carpet, or seagrass mats, etc. By seeing the tutorial, it should provide some alternatives to use.

Of course that tutorial, though considered a "standard" by many, is not the only way to make a NIC cage. I'm attaching a photo of one of my old NIC cages just to show you some flooring alternatives. I used a piece of rolled linoleum for the base (no wood at all). I just laid the lino down and was sure the edges were just beyond the cage walls so bunny could not access them. I was able to use scraps of carpet (again, no wood) on the upper levels.

Another temporary cage I had also shows carpet on the bottom. The upright wall is plain drywall. That is safe for bunnies to chew. Just another example. Please note that this smaller, temporary cage was from years ago. I no longer use water bottles (only bowls) nor do I use those corner litter trays (only use large rectangular boxes now).

IM000411.jpg

IM000406.jpg

Last edited:
I see. You basically have a guinea pig "C&C" cage (the two 'C's being for Cubes and Coroplast).

Personally, I don't favor coroplast for rabbits because they do chew it and it is very slippery -- sometimes even with fleece on top as the fleece may slip about.

'NIC' is often the term used for cube cages for rabbits (NIC standing for the brand name of Neat Idea Cubes).

Here is a tutorial for how to make a NIC cage:
http://breyfamily.net/bunnycage.html

It is basically just about identical to what you have except for the coroplast. Instead, they use wood, or wood with lino or vinyl stick tiles, or carpet, or seagrass mats, etc. By seeing the tutorial, it should provide some alternatives to use.

Of course that tutorial, though considered a "standard" by many, is not the only way to make a NIC cage. I'm attaching a photo of one of my old NIC cages just to show you some flooring alternatives. I used a piece of rolled linoleum for the base (no wood at all). I just laid the lino down and was sure the edges were just beyond the cage walls so bunny could not access them. I was able to use scraps of carpet (again, no wood) on the upper levels.

Another temporary cage I had also shows carpet on the bottom. The upright wall is plain drywall. That is safe for bunnies to chew. Just another example. Please note that this smaller, temporary cage was from years ago. I no longer use water bottles (only bowls) nor do I use those corner litter trays (only use large rectangular boxes now).
Yea I used to have guinea pigs so that's where I got the idea from. I think my grandpa has linoleum, but what do you do about hay? My rabbit gets it everywhere even with the sides of the choroplast.

It's really hard to see in the top photo, but I have clear plexi-glass going around the bottom of that cage. That helped contain stuff.

Now I just put hay directly in my litterbox. I add fresh hay on top twice per day. This was suggested to me many years ago by those more experienced than I was. I thought at the time they were crazy -- directly in the box? But once I tried, I've never gone back.

Rabbits won't eat soiled hay. The hay acts as a barrier keeping their feet and fur dry and clean while in their litter box. They like to munch as they potty. I use a large litter box and the hay pretty much stays contained in that.

Here's a photo

litter with current buns.jpg

It's really hard to see in the top photo, but I have clear plexi-glass going around the bottom of that cage. That helped contain stuff.

Now I just put hay directly in my litterbox. I add fresh hay on top twice per day. This was suggested to me many years ago by those more experienced than I was. I thought at the time they were crazy -- directly in the box? But once I tried, I've never gone back.

Rabbits won't eat soiled hay. The hay acts as a barrier keeping their feet and fur dry and clean while in their litter box. They like to munch as they potty. I use a large litter box and the hay pretty much stays contained in that.

Here's a photo
You know, thinking back, my Flemish giant never had a hay rack and she was a lot cleaner. I think I'll get rid of the hay rack. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back