Dirty NIC cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alek

Reaction score
I recently constructed a cage for my Netherland, Sadie out of NIC panels I used for my old rabbit (I have 47 panels currently). However, Sadie is WAY more messy than my angora male I had; he was a diligent little litter box user, and never wet or poo'd on the floor, but she is such a messy little monkey, and I'm having to rethink a way to keep her cage clean. I currently have a weather proof heavy duty army tap under her cage to shield my carpet, and it does a good job keeping her pee off my carpet, but I'd really like to figure out a cleaner way to maintain her as having to clean the tarp is an hour process of moving her cage and stuff, taking the tarp out, washing and sanitizing it, and drying it before putting it back. I cant handle doing that every other day. Any ideas on ways to keep her cage floor clean.
I hope she reduces her mess and starts using her litter pan more. Frankly, I'd like to trust her to run free, but I won't do that if she'll pee on my carpet as I rent my house. My angora male was such a trustworthy bunny, I'd forgotten how messy females are.
Any ideas on the rabbit lovers front on ways to maintain a cleaner NIC cage?

Linoleum. You can mop it really easily, several times a day if you have to. That's what I used for messy bunnies in the past. With my new girl, she needs nothing. Super clean. But I had a guy who was just filthy and he got linoleum all the way.

My rabbits have linoleum as the bottom 'floor' of their 3 story cages (the top two floors are carpeted and have memory foam dog beds!). Like Leighann7 said, that is super easy to clean- we just wipe it down every other day and line it with newspaper. if your girl is not spayed, that may help with marking and such too- making her a little cleaner. Good luck!

My rabbits have linoleum as the bottom 'floor' of their 3 story cages (the top two floors are carpeted and have memory foam dog beds!). Like Leighann7 said, that is super easy to clean- we just wipe it down every other day and line it with newspaper. if your girl is not spayed, that may help with marking and such too- making her a little cleaner. Good luck!

I'd love to get her spayed after she has her litter (I adopted her and found out she was preggers) but the only vet in the area willing to do rabbit spays charges like $200 and is hesitant to touch small rabbits of 2lbs *grumbles* Rabbits are seen more as a meat or fair item and not really seen as a pet you should spay, in this area.
Linoleum is a great idea, don't know why I didn't think of it. The army tarp is great, looks like crap, but Sadie is such a messy bun. I'm hoping once she has her litter and her hormones settle she'll be more inclined to keep her litter spot the same.

Yes. When I had a NIC cage, I used linoleum for the lower level.

Also, though, I used plexiglass about 4" tall and various lengths to put around the inside of the lower level to contain any mess. This kept stray poos, hay, etc from escaping outside the cage walls.

I'm attaching a photo but I don't know if you can see the plexiglass around the bottom.

IM000411.jpg

Latest posts

Back