:(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lionheadbunny21

Reaction score
I live on Vancouver Island and I have family near Terrace B.C. - ALOT OF FAMILY.

I lost my sister a year ago and I've been dying to go home and be with family and get closure. My older children went up a few weeks ago. My dad is coming down to Vancouver to get my sister's headstone. I quit my job to go home.

I don't know what to do about my bunnies and guinea pigs. They are a lot of work (I LOVE TAKING CARE OF THEM AND LOVING THEM) I just don't know anyone who would care for them like me. I love them so much and I don't want to give them away or give them up. I've had a friend say they would come up and feed them :( That's not enough tho. They need love and interaction. I am so torn.

I need to get home for my sister's Stone to be laid down. It's a big thing. Does anyone know any options for my pets???

How long are you gone for? How many rabbits do you have? Where on the Island are you?

Getting a good pet sitter should be easy enough in your area, you're providing free housing. I'd start advertising on Craigslist, in the 'vacation' housing section.

You can still have your neighbour come by to supervise.

Sorry about your sister.

sas :(

I think I'll be gone for about 2 weeks and I have 2 bunnies.I washoping for a bit longer (for work) but I'm aiming for 2 weeks.

I'm a nervous wreck.. But that is a good option. It's not the best place to vacation.I'm in Duncan.

My mom was educating herself about the bunniesand my friend said her son used to have rabbits and he would love to come in and check on them.

I also have 2 guinea pigs. I'm worried about someone else having to come in and clean their cages (Seems like a lot to ask). I would totally do it for someone else tho..

I'm just nervous I guess. I've only had my bunnies 5 weeks and my guineas for 3 months. New stuff.. I never thought about travel. Maybe I'll only go for 1 week. I know my mother in law may come and check in on them as well. I'll make it a community/family thing.

Thank you so much :)

A pet sitter would be the best option. If you actually hire someone, they should be willing and able to clean the cages and litter boxes. If you do have anything special you do for cleaning, invite them over and show them your routine. I pet sat for some friends who had guinea pigs. I cleaned the cage every other day.
You do need to make sure whoever you choose comes by every day. Both rabbits and guinea pigs need food and water every day. Most will eat all the food if you give them extra. They can also go down hill fast, so leaving them alone for more than 24 hours is not a good idea.
If for some reason, your family doesn't work out for pet sitting, try contacting local vets, pet sitting companies or even 4-H kids. They might know someone who would be willing to help you out. However, if a child is under 12, it would be a good idea to have an adult do it with them.

Ok thank you very much. That was my worst fear was someone forgetting to come by one day :( I would never forgive myself if anything happened to my babies. I'll look into someone staying here. I'm hoping my mom can come for a few days to relieve who-ever.
Thank you so much for your reply. I've never had pets before.

Latest posts

Back