Prince George, BC

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninetoes01

Reaction score
I just got a 4 week old rabbit yesterday and I was wondering if anyone knew about vets in this area, or even just how I could inquire about finding one so I can get him/her fixed when the time comes.

I don't know of any good vets in Prince George.

However, 4 weeks old is very young for a rabbit to be taken away from it's mother. It is recommended that the baby stays with mom until a minimum of 6 weeks (8 prefered) and stays with the siblings for a little bit after being weaned ( a week or so).

Be prepared for the baby to get an upset stomache from being weaned to early. They go through violent gut changes through the weaning process and really need the help of mom's milk with antibodies to make it though this period.

If at all possible, I would re-unite baby with mom for at least another two weeks.If that is not possible, then monitor the baby very carefully. It would be benificial to make a post in the Rabbitry section asking for advice about the care of such a young bunny.

--Dawn

she must have the age completely and utterly wrong then...the person who gave it to me, I mean. Because it has been weaned for a week already and has spent the last week with only its siblings.
She tells me that we can't know it's sex for another 2 weeks though. Weird...I've had him/her for 3 days now, and the poo and pee is perfectly healthy (I have had a rabbit before)
But I must say I'm having one hell of a time trying to litter train...
What do you think? How old does this bunny sound to you?

From the pictures, the bun does look a bit older than 4 weeks. Closer to 6-8 weeks, which is much better for the little guy.

Sexing baby rabbits can be very hard, and it is not unusual to be absolutely convinced about the sex of your bunny, only to have that change when they get older. Some breeders have had a bunny enter into a show, win as a doe and then next week end be disqualified for being a buck entered in a doe category. Here, we call this getting a visit from the "Gender Fairy".

When I have young bunnies I normally check once a week until they go in for a spay/neuter. I can normally get the sex correct from about 8-10 weeks.

--Dawn

A very good vet in King George (I'm bringing Clover and Theo to see her in about a weeks time) is Dr. Sharon Pruz from King George Vet. hospital. I have only heard good things about her and I she was also recommended highly by the vets at Langley Animal Emerg. Clinic, and apparently they send all their rabbit patients to her.

King George is in Surrey, a bit far from Prince George, BC but thanks!

I've emailed somebody with a bunny up there, hopefully will hear back soon.

sas :bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back