Rabbit likes "New" to her hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiecrna

Reaction score
This is what I noticed, just wondering if it's just my rabbit.

I have a huge box of hay. I put a big handful in her hayrack and in her litter. She loves it and eats it. But after a few hours I notice she doesn't eat that much of it. And the next day, I see her nibbling on it just a little. But when I put more hay in there, she runs to it and eats it. It's like she thinks it's new fresh hay, when it's just coming from the same box as before. When she's out of her cage and I put the same hay in a box or whatever she runs to it and loves it. But she doesn't really eat the hay that has been in her cage for a few hours.

It's just annoying bc it seems like I waste a lot of hay bc she doesn't eat all of it bc it's too "old" for her.

Totally normal!! There is something about newly added hay that entices bunnies to eat more.

That is why it is a good idea to refresh that hay every day (or a couple times per day).

There will always be wasted hay, but you'll be able to get a feel for how much she is eating each time and adjust the amount you refresh each time.

Latest posts

Back