pellets and hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnyablonski2796

Reaction score
I was wondering what type of pellets are best? How are the small pet select pellets? Where is the best place to fine hay? I remember when I had my last rabbit I always had a hard time finding good hay in stores like petco/petsmart so where would be best?

Pellets should be plain-- without any colorful bits or seeds in them. The "gourmet" mixes are just junk food. Rabbits under 6-7 months can have alfalfa-based pellets. Older rabbits should be transitioned to timothy-based pellets.

I like to get my hay from a feed store. Others purchase online from a reputable rabbit supply like binky bunny. Pet store hay is pricey, and not the freshest. Baled hay is super economical.

I can't tell what country you are in, but this site compares a lot of pellet brands in the UK:
http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp

If you are in the US, then you can see a few suggestion on this page of my website.

I feed Oxbow and have had great results! My boy was on Manna Pro Sho before he started Oxbow, it is alfalfa-based however so shouldn't be given to adult rabbits. Oxbow Adult Rabbit is what I feed now and my boy loves it!

As for hay, I always get a couple 'small square bales' from the local feed store and I break it up and put into plastic totes (50gal totes). This keeps it from molding and also keeps it fresh. It gets just enough air. :) It's cheapest to do this - I get my bales for $6 and one easily lasts one rabbit for months and months. I got some back in October and my boy is still eating on it - haven't finished out the first 50gal yet! Store hay tends to be old and exposed to a lot of light, which is bad for hay and 'bleaches' it. Good hay is green in color, not brown/blonde. Feed stores get hay from surrounding farmers so it's fresh and tends to be good hay! Just make sure you ask for 'horse quality hay', not 'cattle quality'. Cattle quality tends to have lots of other stuff mixed in it or may have been damaged (mud, rained on, etc - this varies by grower, some are actually good but I err on the side of caution), horse quality is more consistent/cleaner.

I second the oxbow recommendation. Bunny basics 15/23 oxbow hay is good for junior bunnies (under 6 months) and Bunny basics T oxbow hay for adults. The things to look for on the package are :

Under 6 months // Adult
Proteins 15-16 % //13-14 %
Fibers 20-25 % //25-29 %
Fat 3 % //2 %
Calcium 1% //0.5-0.9 %

For the hay, I don't know as I live in France. Don't you have online petstores where you live? That's what I use - in Europe, we have zooplus which is great and pretty cheap compared to traditionnal petstores (plus, that way you don't fund petstores which sell animals)

Hi guys I have a bunny names Padme from star warz. I'm new here and just wanted to know how to post a question/discussion on here (not a reply) in case I need help with my bunny. Please help thank you! :)

Latest posts

Back