best rabbit food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tailonwolf

Reaction score
what is the best food or recommend diet for rabbits? im getting some this up coming friday and am doing my research their offspring will be meat rabbits so any food will have to be safe but just because they will be meat rabbits dosent mean i want them to have lack of care
or quality in food

also can they eat burmuda grass (horse hay)?

The recommended diet for rabbits is 5% pellets, 15% leafy greens, and 80% hay. However for your purpose I'm sure there could be some variation in that. Likely the types of pellets that are used for pet rabbits may not be the same that are commonly used for growing so I can't really recommend a brand. Most importantly the pellets need to be grass hay based and have a very high fiber content.

As for the hay, it is safe, although I've read it's not a popular type for rabbits to like. Orchard grass, timothy, oaten and meadow are all common types used as well. Alfalfa/lucerne hay is good but only for rabbits up to 6 months of age, though I believe it can be good for nursing does too.

And just to let you know, discussion of meat rabbits is not well received here, however it's obviously still fine to ask for feeding/care/housing etc tips as we all want rabbits to be well cared for, just avoid the "m" word. :)

It may depend on who recommends, and for what.

My rabbits get 95% green forage when available, pellets only as treats and for training them to return to their hutches for the night. They do not grow out as fast as most other m*** rabbits, I don't care about that, but they are healthy and happy.
In winter they get selfmade hay, hay, topinampur, sugar beets, apples, and somewhat more pellets.

Many other m*** rabbit breeders feed mostly pellets, those which are made for that purpose. Dosn't make any sense tinkering about 13 or 15% protein when 80% of the food is something different anyway.

It also depends on the rabbits you have, different lines thrive better on different foods. I wouldn't go for max. performance, but best health.

Latest posts

Back