Bunnies eating paint from skirting boards!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Help!
My bunnies have suddenly decided they have an appetite for the flaking paint on our skirting boards. We moved in three months ago and the previous owners hadn't prepped for the new coat properly so the paint peels off easily. This week the bunnies have realised they can nibble it off!!!
They are well fed with fresh grass, dandelions, herbs, veg, fruit snacks and Timothy hay!!!!! Definitely not hungry, just hooked.

I'm after something non toxic that I can rub onto the paint that they won't like.
Thanks for your help fellow bunny lovers! X

View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1452902474.454019.jpg

Some people have used apple cider vinegar with success saying it deters their bunnies, however other bunnies seem to like the taste of it.

Your best bet is just to block off their access. I know some folks have used pieces of wood that the buns can chew on instead. Not necessarily pretty but does the job.
And just to cover our bases, this is new paint and not potentially leaded paint, right?

Thank you both for responding!
I've got some apple cider vinegar so it's worth a try.
No it's not leaded paint, it's new - only a year or so old.

It's tricky, I love them having full run of the house and already block off the tv and soft Wood dining table so blocking off all of the skirting boards isn't super feasible. If the vinegar doesn't work it might have to be heavily supervised spurts instead of free reign.

Latest posts

Back