Older Bun Missing Litter Box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaitlynB

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am just curious if anyone has any helpful advice. I have an older rabbit, she is about 6. She has always been exceptionally good at using her litter box, but lately she has been leaving little poos outside it. Is this just because she is getting older? Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop or at least minimize this problem?

If there have been any changes or anything new in her environment(e.g. furniture moved around, someone visiting, a new smell, a new pet, etc), that can sometimes prompt territorial poop marking.

It can also be that older buns can get a bit lazy about their potty habits sometimes. But you also need to make sure it isn't a health issue causing the change. As rabbits get older, some will develop arthritis, which can manifest in a change of potty habits because it is painful and more difficult for them to hop into their litter box. If you have noticed your bun slowing down at all, or a stiffness or a change in her hopping, then it would be a good idea to get her checked by your vet. If she does have arthritis and it is affecting her mobility enough that you feel meds are necessary, metacam(anti inflammatory) given daily can be very helpful in relieving this pain for rabbits. Adequan has also been used in rabbits to help with arthritis. If you don't feel like it's to the point that meds are necessary yet, you may be able to help her by just cutting down one side of her litter box if it has high sides. This will make it easier for her to hop in if she does have a touch of arthritis.

You're lucky it's just poop! My old bun now pees everywhere :p

Last edited:
JBun and Nancy thank you both for your advice. There is nothing new in her environment, and she doesn't have any problems getting into her littler box. I think she might just be getting lazy in her older age. I have just taken to vacuuming every day or so :) She only seems to go around her cage, so that is a plus. I am glad that she isn't doing it all over! And I am really thankful that it is only pooh! Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back