Could my does possibly be pregnant?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHoneyBunny

Mini Rex Breeder
Reaction score
I have 2 bucks (Holland lops both 33+ weeks old) and 2 does( one mini rex & one Holland both 35+).
They are not neutered and are separated by a wooden wall that's screwed into the frame of the hutch.

On January 12th, somehow one of the boards fell and the bucks and does were together in the cage. I'm not sure for how long but I do at least a couple hours.

I just put nestboxes in 10 minutes ago and I've been assuming they are going to have some babies but I wanted a little more confirmation because I'm really unsure.

Here's what I've noticed:
-today, Feb 8th, the girls have been wagging their tails, grunting and trying to bite. This is not like them at all, infact yesterday they were completely friendly
-I've noticed fur around the cage, I don't know if they are shedding or just loosing fur but I've noticed some fur in random spots.
-They dig out their hay out of their bowl. They don't try to make anything with it though, they just pull it out to eat. However, the boys do the same thing sometimes so they may just be messy.
-I palpated at 13 days and didn't feel anything. However, I'm not experienced at all with this so I may have done it wrong.
-They aren't very fat, they have gained like a tiny bit of fat that's like a little flab on their sides but not much more on the stomach.
-They are being super sensitive about touching their bellies.

So I've noticed some things that could or could not be signs of pregnancy. I know that I should prepare for it because anything can happen. But I'd like some reassurance on what may happen.

The main thing concerns me is that they don't really look pregnant. My friend said her rabbits look very fat and it's obvious. However mine just have a subtle exact flab on their sides near their hind leg.

Some does seem to show a lot more than others, of course it also depends on how many kits they're carrying. Both your bucks and does are more than old enough to successfully reproduce and given the behavioural changes I wouldn't be surprised if they were. If they're first time mums, they may be pulling fur but not really nest building with it. Gestation is 30-31 days so you'll soon know. Many does also only build a nest 24 hours before birth, so it could be a little early for the nest box too.

Latest posts

Back