rooting, nipping, and a persnippity teenager she is

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atjurhs

Reaction score
hi guys,

my doe is becoming a little "teenager" in behavior. when I pick her up to give her lovies, after only a few minutes she starts to root around with her paws on my clothes (so I wear a sweat shirt when I hold and cuddle her). I'll change how I hold her but she keeps it up no matter how I hold her, so I know it's not that. after a few minutes of rooting, she'll turn to hard licks, and from there a nip. it hurts but doesn't draw blood.

is this just a typical stage that does go through? Will getting neutered put an end to it?

my kids and I want our bunny to be a bunny, not a nipping rabbit

thanks for your thoughts, Todd

She sounds hormonal, and yes, spaying her will help.

However it is also a good idea to be sure that she isn't reacting this way from being forced to be held when she doesn't want to be held. Bunnies can be very finicky about when/if they want to be held or cuddled, so that is another consideration. A rabbit just isn't the type of pet that is willing to be held whenever a child (or adult) feels like cuddling them. So I'm not sure how much (or if) any of that is also a factor here.

Back