Help me! - My rabbit mounts my hand

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NaomiBunny

Reaction score
I have a 9 month old lionhead. He seems very happy always running around and walking beside me..loves being patted and held. He has this weird habit though, hes always walking around with one ear up and the other down which im not sure what that means.
also the other thing that scares me the most is that when I pat him (only I, not my mum, dad or brother) he thinks im a female bunny and tries to do naughty things with my hand :eek: :biggrin:
can someone please tell me how i can stop this behavior ?

It sounds like it's time to get him neutered. As for the ear thing, could he be part lop-eared rabbit? Can you post some pictures so we can see his ears? Here's a website link that can help you understand your rabbit's body language.
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

Snapchat-4620713269057328310_0.jpg
this is Milo :)
thanks for your help, milo has a grooming/vet visit in the next couple of weeks and I'll ask about milo getting neutured.
thanks again!

Yes- he needs to be neutered and yes, he definitely has a bit of lop in him. I live helicopter ears. He is adorable.

Mounting is a natural dominance behavior in rabbits (males and females, too, oddly enough). Neutering will probably minimize the behavior, although my spayed female Natasha Rabbitova still mounts her stuffed friends from time to time, just to keep them in their place.

Rabbits are trainable. My first rabbit, Scone MacBunny, started mounting my arm as soon as he entered his teenage months, about the same time as Milo has. He was never neutered, but I trained him not to become too affectionate with my arm. You just have to convince Milo that you don't like him doing that, and as head bunny in the household what you say, goes.

What I did was to push Scone away and say, "NO, just kiss". He'd come back and try it again, and I'd repeat. Eventually, he'd come up and kiss my arm, and I'd praise him extravagantly. It didn't take very long before he got the point.

It might also help to provide him with another outlet for his affections. Scone had his stuffed friend Butter, and he erm... worked out his urges upon her.
scone0582.jpg

Natasha loved Butter, too - to the point where poor Butter had to take medical retirement because I was no longer able to provide restorative surgery to repair the damage from overgrooming.
7648_181732_090000000.jpg

wow! thankyou guys for all the help!
will surely try and train milo though he's my first bunny and although researching a lot before getting him, sometimes things tend to go the wrong way.

we're buliding him a wooden house in our garden, he loves it there in the sun :)
thanks again for your help

Latest posts

Back