What color is she? Harlequin? Chimera?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't really know. I've just been calling her a magpie.

Can two solid rabbits actually produce a harlie? Is the chimera mutation as common in rabbits as it is in horses and dogs??

Mom was black, dad was opal. She was a rescue/sympathy buy and was pretty ill when I got her (only four weeks old!) but she has bloomed into a hardy, healthy little brat.

;)

Sorry for the collages, I didn't want to upload them one by one. The first three are when she was 5-6 weeks old. The other ones are recent (3 months old).

2v3g32a.jpg
35a9d1v.jpg

I'm only seeing magpie as her coloring. Harlequin colors come from the ej gene. I believe it's recessive but not positive. Chimera is very rare in rabbits just like it is in other animals.

Thank you both!

That's what I thought, her pattern is very banded and more "organized" than chimera would be. I was told she was lionhead, but after seeing her parents and due to her size I'm inclined to think there might be some NZ in there.

Haven't weighed her. I'm just comparing her to my meat pens I raised many years ago. Her parents were probably around 6-7lbs, NOT little "lionheads" (they obviously were not purebred). She's got a LOT more "meat"/muscle tone than the lionheads I have met although is definitely mostly lionhead, maybe 1/4 something else. I am going to fathom a guess of 2-3lbs at 3 months old. This is mom and dad, photos are not mine, they were on her ad when she was on Craigslist:

2qnzb4k.jpg
2ik9slf.jpg

She looks black more than blue, so I'd call her a harlequin rabbit with the black magpie colour variation. (make sense?)

either way, it's a pert little rabbit

though looking at bunny again... I have to wonder if maybe she's a lilac???? Do her eyes have a red glow when exposed to bright light? (like a camera flash?)

she won't be a small bunny upon maturity though.. based on dad's size I'd say a good 7-8 lbs.

Latest posts

Back