Rabbit breed information please!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adalii

Reaction score
Hi it's me again tehe. So around June I plan on getting another rabbit to hopefully be companions with my current boy Preston. He will be neutered in a month or two, and he is turning one year old in May.

I was wondering about personal experiences and whatnot of the following breeds I am considering...

Holland Lop
Netherland Dwarf
Dutch

I'm looking for a breed no bigger than 6 pounds, as my current Holland Lop x Netherland mix is about 3-3.5 pounds of fluff.

Any information about these breeds is much appreciated!
(sorry this might be in the wrong spot :p)

In general, Holland Lops are a very friendly, personable breed. They're very active and energetic, but don't tend to be "worriers." My Hollands are fairly laid back and go-with-the-flow.

Netherland Dwarfs also tend to be active and energetic. I've found that they're a little more on-edge about things and can be spooky, but very sweet nonetheless.

I haven't had Dutch but hear that they're a fairly easy to handle breed as well.

I don't think you would go wrong with any of the above. Of course, it is important to know where your animal is coming from so you have a better idea of the environment in which the rabbit was raised and what to expect as maturity hits. I'd recommend working with a reputable breeder to identify an individual rabbit that fits the personality traits and temperament you're seeking. Even within the fairly even-tempered breeds you've mentioned, you can run into hormonal or temperamental issues from rabbits raised in less-than-ideal breeding programs.

Thank you so much for your response!

So would you recommend in my case to look more into a rescue or a breeder? For me both are very possible options, however if I got a rabbit from a breeder I would need to keep them separated until both are fixed.

I will also note the new rabbit will be my second rabbit ever, so I don't have much experience with 'problem rabbits' seeing as Preston was basically an angel. ;P

Not saying all rescues are problem rabbits! I know that some rescues are wonderful and some breeders rabbits are terrors haha.

Personally, I would let Preston meet some rescues to see who he gets along with the best. Basically, let him decide (along with your blessing.) It can be hard to determine an adult personality from a baby, and not all rescues come with problems. Bella is a piece of cake, and came litter box trained and spayed at 8 months. Plus, many rescues do dating sessions or even take care of bonding. Best of luck with whatever you choose!!

Speaking of Bella, Dutch rabbits could fit the bill as she's right at 4 lbs, and they seem to be very common in rescues. At least in WI.

I think we need to see pics of Preston, though!!:D

15122_645765595483590_356119574_n.jpg

10007456_657837500943066_1662727037_n.jpg

Hopefully these aren't too large D; I took them directly from my facebook page haha. This is my little boy Preston :)

Also thank you for your advice! I actually found a rescue that always fixes their rabbits, and attempts to litter train them, AND they do a bunny 'matchmaking' process. They also offer to have the foster parent help you with the bonding process and they can take both rabbits for a week or so and get them to the point where they can live together. Needless to say I am impressed! Being a novice rabbit owner is hard and I would probably feel better if someone else was to bond them(at least start) for me.

Awwwwww Preston is so cute...I am a new bunny mom myself to a lil lop Stewie.

20...waiting for breakfast.jpg

Wow I love Stewie's color! My little boy also likes to be up on high places, and I have a window table he loves to sunbathe on, reminded me from your boy standing on the box haha.

My current bunny(first one ever) is a holland lop/ mini Rex mix I think. He's adorable. Got the helicopter ears goin on:) ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1393988233.967988.jpg

Thank you so much for your response!

So would you recommend in my case to look more into a rescue or a breeder? For me both are very possible options, however if I got a rabbit from a breeder I would need to keep them separated until both are fixed.

If you're interested in specific breeds, I would seek a breeder. If you don't have a preference on breed or where the rabbit comes from, a rescue is a good option too.

In either case, you should be able to talk to the source about the temperament you're looking for and either one should be able to help you find what you're looking for.

Latest posts

Back