Disaster has struck.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJSpanky

Reaction score
My little boy Corey's 1.5 yo bunny Benjamin (aka Benny) has died. My wife Linda just discovered him lying peacefully in his cage and called me. Corey's at school: he's going to be devastated when he comes home. Absolutely crushed. I have no idea what to say to him. Can't believe Benny died - no signs or symptoms whatsoever. Of our 3 bunnies, he was the most laid back - Tyler and Corey loved to hold him and cuddle with him. Just so unexpected.

Here's a picture of Corey with Benny last summer:

CoreyAndBenjamin2_zpsb82c0789.jpg

I'm so sorry! It will be one of life's toughest lessons for young Corey unfortunately. Kids are surprisingly resilient, however, and I'm sure you'll know how to help him deal with it gently. There may have been something congenitally wrong with Benny, but it might be an idea to have the other two bunnies checked over to make sure there isn't some illness they're sharing. Again, my condolences on this nasty shock.

I am so sorry for your loss and your families loss. My condolences.

It is one of the hardest things to deal with when you have to break such devastating news to children. I have been down that road before. I hope when the time comes you find the words you need.

Binky Free Benjamin, Binky Free!

Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry. I know how you feel. After Chico and Chica were born I went out to their mother's rabbit house to check up on them and their mom and their mom was dead and two of the kits. Kits I could see dying, their mom, NO. Same thing. I was a horrible wreak and to this day I still have no idea what the hell happened. If something tried to get into the cage and their died of heart attacks? I just don't know and to this day it still bothers me greatly.

I know it's going to be tough explaining and possibly you can also contact your vet and see what they say as well concerning the death to make certain none of your other bunnies might be infected with anything. That would be my top priority keeping the remaining healthy.

My heart goes out to you and I hope he is able to handle the loss well. None of us ever do. I mean, we know at some point our bunnies, ourselves, everyone is going to pass but when it does it always comes too soon. And in this case, way too soon.

Take care
Vanessa

Latest posts

Back