Bunny bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RowdyRabbit

Reaction score
I adopted a Netherland Dwarf(Rowdy) in June of last year. I was TOLD he was a boy but when I took him to the vet to be neutered, SURPRISE he is actually a she. Well, that makes the bonding process a bit more difficult since my Lop(Rampage) is also a female. They currently each have their own bedroom but I had planned to bond them and use Rowdy's room. Well, she's very territorial. Growls/lunges at me and Rampage when we are close to her space. Would it be easier to bond them in a neutral room? Rampage is very submissive. Rowdy does fine when they are not in her space. Help, please!

I apologize if this is a redundant thread. I'm posting from my phone which is hard to search from.

Are they spayed? If not, it would be a lot more difficult to bond them.

You do need to start in a neutral area...make sure it's different to each bun, even it it's a bathtub, box in the kitchen....etc.

Good luck!

There's no point attempting to bond unfixed rabbits. If you try very hard, you might get them used enough to each other's presence that they can get along most of the time, but they'll never truly be friends and fighting will always be a possibility.

If you do decide to spay them both though, bonding will be much easier. And yes, like Jenn said, using a neutral territory is a must. Some techniques you can try include "stress bonding", which is putting both buns together in a very tight space, like a carry cage, and taking them on a car ride. You can also feed them together, sharing food is a great way to bond. But most of the time bonding just involves putting them together in a small room or bathtub and observing their interactions, and of course breaking up any fights.

Rowdy is spayed but Rampage is not. Rampage doesn't act aggressive in any way toward Rowdy. She doesn't even seem to notice when Rowdy tries to bite her through the cage. So if I bond them outside Rowdy's room, they will be fine once I put them in there? I'd hate to get so far and lose it because Rowdy gets territorial.

Back