Meet my new bun balthazar

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a cutie!! Gotta love lops, they have such sweet faces. On the subject of the knotted fur, my bun doesn't like to have her fur brushed and she tends to groom her mats and knots out on her own. Some rabbits seem to mat at the ends of their hair, away from the body. If your rabbits is knotted on the ends of his fur use a mat rake (special comb designed for removing matted hair). A soft brushing will probably take care of his knotted fur. If the hair is matted close to the skin, you will probably need some help from either a groomer or your local vet who provides grooming services. Rabbits with longer fur should be groomed daily to prevent matting of the fur and of course, hairballs.

What a cutie! Love those big ears.

Buy a good pet brush, like a puppy slicker brush or a furminator, and brush him every day whether he likes it or not. He might try to work out his own knots, but that often leads to ingesting his fur, and hairballs can be dangerous in rabbits. Daily brushing is important to minimise the amount of hair they eat!

Very cute indeed. :) I agree that a gentle brushing may be done to try to work out any existing mats. Once those have cleared it will be much easier to brush regularly as a preventative measure instead. If the knots are really bad, you may need to go to a vet to trim the fur, it's not recommended to do it yourself as bunnies have very thin skin which can be easily torn/cut by accident when trying to work through knots.

Back