My Heart's on Fire for Elvira

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morgan, all this talk of spring makes me want to sing....better not do or else it´ll rain again haha.

Ellie is gorgeous, what a big girl she´s growing into. Her fur looks so soft and I love that little face...ah, her eyes are just like Houdinis, every time I see her photo I look at him.

Those chicks are so cute, they all sort of legs but such lovely colours. Your poor Roo all on his own...hope he does well in his new home. I did laugh yesterday reading about him thinking you´re a threat....funny how animals see some of us humans.

Finger looks much better as well, bet you´re glad about that. Do with your middle finger whatever you need to do lol.

Ellie IS really soft. Her baby fur seems to be gone and her adult fur is here and its really soft and smooth and shiny. I think the food change has helped her coat a little.

I think I'm going to take her outside now! haha. I'll take some pictures.

All of your eyes are going to be assaulted by adorable Outdoor Ellie.
Sit back and enjoy!

6tju5t.jpg

acig1.jpg

2wodeup.jpg

mvsyn7.jpg

2e31vrc.jpg

2iwa6mf.jpg

21j5c2b.jpg

jpk9og.jpg

24nnxow.jpg

Baby face washies!!! In the sunshine!!! omg omg omg my eyes, they've been overcuted!

I think Ellie will always qualify as a baby in my eyes. I still call Monty my "baby bunny" even though she's longer than most housecats because she isn't done growing *yet*.

Random thought: it's weird how some breeds of bunnies have a nose that seems like it's "open" more often, or seems to not wiggle down all the way when it goes up and down, while other breeds and types have really "closed" looking noses. Ellie's tends to look "closed" a lot, but Monty's only seems to close halfway while she's wiggling, so it almost always looks open when I catch it in pics. Random brainwaves are over now. *This has not been a fully formed thought. MissyBrainWaves are not intended to be taken up for serious discussion, and you are considered just as loony as she if you happen to know whatever the hell she's talking about. :p

PS: Monty occasionally gets a food pellet up her nose and has to snort and swipe to get it to pop out. My furchild is like the one kid who shoves everything up their nose in preschool.

I'm glad your finger is doing even better!

Ellie is so pretty! I adore the outside pics. Bunnies just look so right when surrounded by the green of outside. Or maybe it's just because I always have to see Thumper on this ugly green, worn carpet I hate and can't wait to replace. Rant over.

The chicks right now look something like a cross between a chicken and a giraffe. At least if giraffes were really small animals. Their necks look so long.

These are just too cute....she looks lovely in all that green and love the yellow flower. She has such a bonny face and I love the last but one photo where she´s so alert, that is such a dutchie face and I just adore it.

I suppose where buns are concerned, they have the same nose problems as we have...some are smaller, wider, flatter, fatter, bigger, much bigger....just some silly thoughts lol.

Missy, I've thought the same thing about noses! I think that this is the most 'open' I've seen Ellie's because she was really sniffing out there. But normally, she's a light nose wriggler and her nose doesn't open that much. Plus she has a TINY nose compared to Monty! haha.

The other day I figured out that I can put just about anything on her head and she doesn't try to shake it off or get it off. So last night I was putting a debit card on her head, I put pellets on her head, anything light that will stay I'll put up there. haha. I found the flower and put it on her head and she didn't care at all. Plus, it looked really cute! haha.

She was a little scared at first because the cars were going by, but after about the 30th car, she got a little more used to the sound and she seemed a lot more comfortable. THEN we heard the hawks! haha. That picture where she's really alert was when the hawks were talking to each other.
She ate some clovers, really seemed to like them.

I think I want to make her a little house for outside, with a little run area; covered of course, to keep her safe from the hawks. But I think she would really like a little outside hutch to get to the grass and sunshine for a few hours a day. I think she would like that. Maybe in her run area I could plant her some really nice grass to eat.
BUT this is all a pipe dream, I'll probably never get around to do any of this! LOL

Clover and dandelion = BUNNY HEAVEN, hahaha :) My buns were the same way, all nervous after a whole winter not being outdoors. I took the boys out first, thinking they would be the brave ones, plus they are sooo hyper and have all this energy they need to burn off. But nope, all that 'Brave' indoors, is just false brevado. They were big chickens(not to disparage chickens in any way)! They hardly left my lap the whole time. Toby did finally get brave enough to start hopping around a little, but Riley just hunkered down in my lap and didn't want to leave. I took the girls out, and they were a little nervous at first, but instantly started exploring. Girls are so much braver than boys!

The cars and birds spooked my buns a little too. We only get occasional cars driving by, but when they did, Libby would just smoosh herself flat, into the grass until it drove by. I think it's so funny that this bright white rabbit thinks it can't be seen if it just lays down really low in the grass, which is hardly grass right now anyways since the snow just melted off of it. There were also some blue jays squawking, which had the buns on high alert too, like Ellie. Dakota and Flopsy don't hardly get scared at all when I take them outside. I don't know if they just remember being out there before, or what, but they have a blast hopping around. I'll try and remember to take some pics next time I'm out with them.

It was actually pretty cool watching Ellie being a bunny outside. Like sort of natural, scared of things. Like you said Jenny, she would mush her body down to the ground really flat to try to hide from the cars. haha. But her big ears sticking up were a little obvious!
I had to feel her heart a few times to make sure she wasn't going to have a heart attack and her heart wasn't beating that fast...until I picked her up to bring her in. LOL.

Yes Jenny, do try to take some pictures of your babies outside! I bet they're so precious.

Aaaaah those are the cutest pics ever!!!! Oh for petes sake you have green stuff there.....? I'm so jelly. We have snow on the flipping ground still! And ice!!! Oh my gosh. I. Need. Spring. Now.

I cant wait to take them outside. I know what you mean about seeing them be more real rabbits outside. That clover and dandelion was a bunny's dream! I bet Ellie had so much fun!

Lisa, I think that your buns will really enjoy being outside when the snow finally melts.

So I'm watching this thing on meercats and they are SO cool! They're like the friendliest smartest little things!

Okay, so my kid...is a monster. He has these cups that are little plastic cups, with plastic tops and plastic straws. I got sick of sippy cups and he knows how to use a straw so I threw all the sippies away and got these really easy cups. Anyway, the straws come out of them really easily and he loves to pull the straws out. So I thought he was just playing in his room, until he comes to the door with an empty-strawless cup. I go into his room and there is milk all over his rug! Thank god its Ikea and machine washable! But it was ridiculous. I was so mad at him AND myself for not paying good enough attention.
This brings me to Saturday, I'll be gone from 5:30am till around 11pm, at my chicken workshop. That means that my husband will be alone with my son for that long. He has NEVER been alone with him for a WHOLE day. Like from wake up till bedtime. Its a little sad, but hey, he works and my job is at the house. haha.
My husband asked me last night to make a "care sheet" for our son! Can you guys believe that?! I have to write down what we do everyday and make sure that he knows what to do. hahaha. Thats insane. But I wish him luck, my kid is crazy!
He also asked me to clean the house well on Friday, so he doesn't have to do anything on Saturday and everything will be easily accessible. What a jerk. I told him, we would see about that. I'll just leave it the way it is all the time, a cluster-f and see how he likes it! haha. Just kidding, I want to come back to my kid having been fed while I was gone and hopefully with all his limbs, fingers and toes. So I'll make him his care sheet and make sure everything is good to go for them.
To me its just a little silly. I guess maybe thats how other husbands are too? hahaha.

Haha, I bet your husband is going to have a fun day. Maybe he'll appreciate what you do more, after this. I think most guys are pretty clueless to what is involved in taking care of a kid, until they have to do it all themselves. This should be interesting. Don't make it too easy for him :)

Ok Morgan, I got pics for you. Yes, I'm blog invading again, haha. So, I took the little boys and little girls out yesterday. The boys were 'brave' as usual, huddling on my lap, lol. They sat there for about 10 min, and only got brave enough to start exploring, when a few of the neighborhood kids came over to see them. So this first pic is Riley(black and white one), next to him is Jake, and the one at the end is Toby(my hyperactive ADHD megacolon boy). Toby was the only one brave enough to leave my lap at all before the kids came, and even then you can see that he was only brave enough to have his butt on the ground. He still had to have his front paws on me. Lol, silly boys! The next pics are of Flopsy(big lop), Roo, and Libby. Roo and Libby have seen Flopsy before, but have never actually met him or been with him, so this is the first time. The girls were still a little nervous being outside, nothing like the boys though, they would still go and explore, plus I think they liked having Flopsy there, and pretty much followed him around or stayed close to him. Even after a whole winter of not being outside, Flopsy was totally unphased being outside. Not nervous a bit! Even managed to get that big bunny butt to binky, haha. He's so big and slow compared to my little hotots. They zip around, and he just kind of 'flops' around.

P1010102 (800x600).jpg

P1010118 (800x600).jpg

P1010136 (800x600).jpg

P1010147 (800x600).jpg

Last edited:
Those pictures are amazing! They are all so cute. Like way more cute than I could have expected!
Was Flopsy grooming Libby? How sweet! So Flopsy is okay with being with other buns, or is it because they're babies? Isn't he bonded to Dakota or is she alone?
He is so big compared to the babies!
So genetics question: why are Riley and Roo dutch marked and the rest are the standard hotot marked?
And look at Roo's little black skirt! hahaha. And it looks like Toby has the longest ears out of all of them. They have such short ears, its quite funny on their round heads. And they are SO white! Like unbelievably white!
Are hotots related to Polish? They remind me of a polish in head shape and ear length.

They are all so cute. Thank you so much for sharing them! I just want to roll around with all of them.

(I don't know why my first reaction for anything is to roll around in it. Because that IS my first reaction. My friend and I were just talking about churros and I told her I wanted to roll around in a churro. And I always want to roll around in baby bunnies. Whats wrong with me?)

I just got a care package in the mail from Jennifer. It consisted of, some meal worms for my chicks, somethings for Ellie and some wheat grass seeds.
Well, the mail system IS NOT gentle with packages. I knew there would be a huge possibility of mealies being all of the place in the box. I was totally right. I watched my mail lady pull up to the front step of my house and THROW the box out of the car window onto my step. What a lazy -insertbadwordhere-.
So I'm opening it and this HUGE part of me is like "don't open this on the counter" but that DUMB part of me is like "oh its fine!" Well, that box was filled with loose mealies! And loose wheat bran! haha. So I'm trying to get all the mealies into a container and keep as much as the wheat bran as possible, that junk is a MESS! haha.
So after I get all the stuff out of the box, I finally put it on the floor. YES the whole time it was on my island and getting wheat bran everywhere. Thankfully no mealies on my island though! haha. So I get down in the floor and the paper that was in the box is for Ellie too, so I'm trying to get all the mealies off the paper and they think they're smart. They think they can escape being put in the container by sticking to the paper, like I can't see their mealie asses. So I got them all off the paper, last was the bottom of the box. I get the brilliant idea to shoo them all to the corner and turn the box corner into the container and dump them out. Well, the dumb part of me was doing this, because it didn't anticipate the box flaps NOT being near the container. So they all slid down the box flap and onto the floor! :foreheadsmack: I got all of them up. No runners! So I go to put them on the counter and give them a bit of carrot and I step on something crunchy...ew. I freaked out like I mushed one onto the floor. But really is was a piece of crunchy pizza crust or something. That was the scariest part of it, like I killed one! lmao.

So that was my mealie experience! Fun. The chickens love them. I was actually able to get the water thing out of the roo's cage because he was occupied with mealies. He didn't even try to attack or anything, surprising. The hen went freaking nuts when she found them in the food dish, she called all the babies and they all got one! They came from outside the coop, trying to fly, wings spread, cheeping the whole way. It was so funny! Its funny to hear her call them. I think the Baby Blues like them too! They're so scared though.

Anyway, now that all the feeding is over, I can go clean up the wheat bran out of my floor and off my counter. Its time for kitchen overhaul now, since there is wheat bran everywhere. hahaha.

Jenny they are all so lovely, I just love their little faces and colours and different sizes...Roo is gorgeous and I love the little hotots. I can´t believe they were out in that open space, I´d be terrified of them runnning off. And I think three is a lot...how do you cope :confused2:

Morgan, the picture I have of you with the mealies is so funny...I hate anything like that crawly and wiggly....I bet they were clinging to that paper for dear life....great that the little chicks loved them and the hen and the roo...I can imagine mama hen calling and all the chicks hotfooting it to get their little treat lol.

That's crazy that your mail lady did that. I can't believe she just threw it! You ought to call in and complain(not that complaining to a gov. office does much good). I don't care much for bugs, so I don't think I could have picked through all that, yuck! Those chickens better appreciate what you do for them.

Wait.... You weren't expecting my bunnies to be cute? jk. Haha, I know, it's so cute to see them running around, playing outside. Especially when they start running around and binkying with joy. They don't usually want to have anything to do with me though, when they are out there. Of course, unless they are nervous or scared of something, then they come dashing back to me and I'm their protector, haha. The boys 'hiding' on my lap, is the most interaction I got, otherwise it's like 'don't touch me cause I don't want you to pick me up and ruin my fun', lol, so I just sit and watch. No rolling around with cute fluffy bunnies :( Haha, so do you roll around with Ellie? Maybe you have a secret happy childhood memory of rolling around in leaves or something, so now it gives you happy feelings, and you want to do it. Just no rolling around with the rooster!

Flopsy may have given Libby a lick or two, he's not a big groomer. Even with Dakota, which yes, he is bonded to, she will end up doing most the grooming cause she gets too impatient waiting for him to groom her. He will reciprocate grooming, but usually only a few licks. It's kind of funny though cause I found a way to get him to groom her more. He starts going lick crazy when I start scratching his butt. I'll often do it to loosen up his molting fur, then I can pull it out easier. He'll pretty much start licking anything near him. If he's not near anything, he'll start licking himself. So I'll wait til Dakota puts her head under his, then I'll start scratching his butt and sure enough he starts grooming her as long as I scratch that area. It's pretty funny to watch.

Libby's a big licker. She's always grooming Roo, which Roo loves, but she did give Flopsy quite a few licks. All the babies are full grown now and are 7 mo. old, they're just small at around 2 lb and Flopsy is at least 8 lb. Flopsy is just a really easygoing bun. Not much upsets him, and on neutral territory, I can pretty much put any bun with him, as long as the other rabbit doesn't try and fight. In his own pen, he would get a little grumpy having a new bun in there besides Dakota, and Dakota will attack anybun besides Flopsy cause she's a big grumpy pants, even Flopsy gets nipped and lunged at all the time(and he still likes her and she likes him :?), but he's so much bigger than her and so laid back that he just puts up with her. When Baby was a baby, and was having all those problems learning how to eat pellets and drink water, I decided to put her with Flopsy for a while, so that he could teach her. I had to first get Flopsy and Baby used to each other, so I let them play outside together for a few days. Baby was a little scared of Flopsy at first, cause he's so big and she was sooo small, plus he's an adult and she was a baby. So he was hopping around and she was hopping around, and he would hop close to her and she would dash away. Even as a baby she was lots faster than Flopsy, so he couldn't get close to her if she didn't want him to. Eventually she got brave enough that she would sneak close, he would notice her, then she would dash away. She got to the point where she didn't dash away and flattened herself in front of him, and he licked her, and that was it, she followed him around everywhere after that. So after that I took Dakota out and I could keep Baby with him in his pen during the day, and then I put Dakota back with him at night. After a few days of being with Flopsy, she did learn how to drink from a dish. She still doesn't know how to drink from a bottle. I would have loved to have bonded a trio, and kept baby with him and Dakota, but Dakota is an attack rabbit, and Flopsy is the only one safe around her, haha.

Flopsy is just the best bunnysitter. Even when I had the three boys out with him, and they started getting all hormonal and trying to hump Flopsy, he didn't care at all. Of course he is used to Dakota. But not much really gets to him. I think that today I may take Baby and Flopsy out together. I may even try Dakota with them. Dakota seems to be ok outside, and doesn't get all territorial. And Baby is much faster than Dakota and can get away from her if she decides to be a grump.

Ok, so hotot genetics.... Dwarf hotots were created in Germany, by crossing a REW nethie with a black one, which created a dutch marked rabbit, then the dutch rabbit was breed back to the black one, which created a hotot marked rabbit. Then another breeder in Germany, crossed a REW nethie with a blanc de hotot, to create a version of what is now a dwarf hotot. Blanc de hotots were created in France, by crossing white flemish giants and checkered giants. So the sport version of dwarf hotots, comes from having the dutch marked rabbit and the checkered giant rabbit, in it's genetics. So sometimes the sports will come out looking like Riley and Roo, with the dutch marked head and spotting on the back, some will have even less black marking than that, and some will have more black and look more like a dutch. You can often tell the difference between a dutch and a sport hotot, cause dutch are usually bigger and have a different head shape. You can see with Ellie, how she has a more pointed head and long ears, and Roo and Riley's head is more rounded, and the ears are shorter and further apart. It's just like with any breed where you get different colored babies with different markings. It all has to do with the genetics and breeding. Sports, black banded, chocolate banded, and blue banded, are all just color variations of a dwarf hotot. Here's the history on the DH clubs website if you are interested.

http://www.adhrc.com/ADHRC%20Web2%20About.htm

Here's a couple of pics from when Baby was little and I was putting her with Flopsy so he could teach her how to drink. She was 6 weeks old at this point, and still didn't know how to drink from a water dish or bottle cause she was separated from her mom so young, and the people never made sure she knew how to eat pellets or drink water, before they sold her, argh!!! The pic of her snuggling with Flopsy was that she hated the cold concrete floor and he liked resting on it. She wanted to be with him, so she would snuggle up as close as she could, even to the point of practically laying on him, haha.

Chris, I don't worry too much about them out there. I'm not by a busy road, and they pretty much stay close to me. If they wander too far off, I either get up and follow them, or herd them back. I pretty much don't have a life, haha, so I have lots of time I can devote to my little critters :)

IMAG0241 (800x478).jpg

IMAG0254 (2) (602x800).jpg

Last edited:
Oh those pictures are so sweet. Little baby is adorable and Flopsy is darn cute too. But the difference in size is so lovely, looks like big brother protecting little baby.

I love the hotots and it´s great to read about their background...so interesting. Yes, they do have sort of a dutchie look but you´re right the head and body are different. I love their colouring though....you have a bunch of great bunnies, you lucky girl.

Jenny, thank you for explaining the hotot genetics to me! I get it now and I don't feel so dumb! haha. I get chicken stuff, but the rabbit stuff just blows my mind. And your right, their faces and ears look totally different than Ellie's. Her face is SO pointy compared to theres.

Of course I thought your buns were cute, buts its like I had them pictured in my head and they were adorable. When I saw them all in the pictures and got to see THEM, it blew my mental picture of them out of the water with cuteness! It was like my brain exploded with little adorable bunnies! That aren't babies anymore, but they always look like babies because they're mini rabbits! haha.

Those pictures of Baby with Flopsy are ADORABLE! She was SO tiny compared to Flopsy! Wow. Now, he's a french lop right? He looks a little large to be a mini.

Jenny, I have no idea how you manage all those buns. You have buns everywhere! Do you still have Pip? I just want to see pictures of all of them now! haha. I don't know how you find time to love on all of them. Where do you house all of them? Do they have individual cages or do the different sex's live in groups? How is Zeus doing?
I'm asking all these questions because its like you know everything about my bun, but I barely know anything about your buns!

I actually got back on the computer to look at a cell phone case for an iphone, thats a lobster. Wish I was kidding. haha. Its a full sized lobster that you put your phone in. God I wish I had an iphone just for the awesome lobster case. I would totally carry it. OR I would get the one shaped like a giant ear! haha.

I haven't been on here for a little while, but I just caught up on your blog, and HOLY ROOSTER! I thought it sounded kinda funny as I was picturing a rooster chasing you around the yard/house, but once I saw the horrifying pictures....yeah not so funny. Glad it's getting better. Sheesh.

Your little Ellie is sweet as ever! :D

Ahhh Ellie outside is so cute! She's even prettier hopping around in all that leafy plant with the little blue flowers. I absolutely love her markings on her face, how half her nose is black and half is white. It is too cute.

Speaking of putting things on rabbits' heads, someone sent me the link to this tumblr awhile back..

http://stuffonmyrabbit.tumblr.com/

Latest posts

Back