Pellets over Hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hay pellets don't have to be measured out. It's just hay in pellet form.

Skavatar, it sounds like what you are feeding seems to be working out fine. Hopefully you can find baled grass hay, that's a much cheaper option than those small bags they sell.

Just to clarify here... the hay pellets are just hay, so they don't fall under the category of "pellet food" - pellet food that is specially formulated for rabbits and has added nutrients. The formulated pellets, if one feeds them, are to be limited to about 1/4 cup per day for a 5-7 lb rabbit. (What katiecrna was referring to)

All rabbits should get whole hay strands. It is the eating of the long strands that cause the jaw to move in that figure 8 motion needed to grind down the teeth.

It is fine to feed some of the hay-only pellets, but it is better to provide the whole hay also. That is why I said earlier that the hay pellets don't really serve a specific purpose -- not if one is providing actual hay with the long strands. The exception would be, as Jbun exampled, if one had a rabbit resistant to eating the long strands of hay. Such a rabbit could get some of that roughage with those pellets (though it wouldn't help their teeth). In such a case, the hay pellets don't need to be limited, just as actual hay doesn't need to be limited.

So if your rabbit is eating actual hay, the hay-only pellets are not a substitute for pelleted rabbit food with the added nutrients. The hay-only pellets may substitute somewhat for hay, but not for pellets.

:yeahthat:

I was about to write up a post pointing out that those hay pellets do not have any added nutrients/vitamins from the looks of it. The only reason to feed rabbits pellets at all is to make sure they are getting all the nutrients and vitamins they need to stay healthy. That is why Rabbits only need a limited amount daily. The bulk of their diet is Hay.

My rabbits have access to fresh hay at all times. They munch on it throughout the day. At night they get their "dinner" which is 1/2 cup of pellets split between the two of them. They also get veggies during the day. Bunnies always go crazy for pellets for some reason. They love the stuff!

Like Blue eyes stated, those hay pellets can be used in situations where a rabbit just isn't a big hay eater for extra roughage, but it still won't be as good as actual hay. You need to make sure you are still feeding a complete and balanced rabbit pellet (for example, Oxbow) on top of those hay pellets. Also, I would still offer hay.

How can I encourage my 1 yr old rabbit to eat his hay I give 1/3 cup of pellets a day he's got a huge pile of hay but prefers the pellets I'm worried he's not getting proper nutrition

I give half a carrot a day also the stalk of the carrot he's on Oxbow western timothy hay and Oxbow alfalfa pellets

Well it makes sense, now, why he's not eating as much hay. The pellets should be timothy-based. Alfalfa pellets are too rich for rabbits over 6 months of age. He's old enough for adult rabbit pellets. Oxbow has adult versions which should be timothy-based.

Also, carrots are super high in sugar -- another thing that can cause a rabbit to favor the sweets over the hay. He doesn't need any carrot at all if he's not eating enough hay. The green tops of the carrots are great for him. The carrot itself should be limited to no more than a 1" slice per day. But I think I would stick to just the green tops for now until he gets his diet sorted.

Your idea to add a variety of greens (think more in terms of 'greens' than 'veggies,') is good too. But maybe it would be best to not change too much of his diet all at once.

I'd suggest first transitioning him to the right pellets. It's good to do this by mixing the old pellets with the new over several days so as not to upset his tummy. This explains more how to transition. I'd also cut back on that carrot during this time.

Once he's gotten used to the new pellets, then you can cut out the carrot altogether (except for the green tops), and slowly begin introducing new greens. This should be done one new type at a time. This section explains how to introduce greens safely.

Once he's eating the healthier, timothy-based pellets and a variety of greens (and less sweet carrot) he should start munching on hay more. Refreshing the hay a couple times per day also encourages more hay eating.

If he's an average (5-7 lb) rabbit, once he's on the good pellets and a variety of daily greens, the pellet amount should be just 1/4 cup per day.

Latest posts

Back