Boy and girl

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeniffa

Reaction score
I'm about to adopt a brother and sister (mini lion lops) who are already close and bonded. I will get them at 8 weeks.

My breeder says they can be housed together as long as I get the boy 'done' at 16 weeks and the girl a bit later. The breeder is very experienced and says this is what she does.

I don't want babies (and certainly not from siblings!) so what I want to know is, is this safe?

If not, what would you suggest?

To be safe, I would separate them and not put them together until both have been spayed/ neutered. Bunnies can begin breeding before 16 weeks and it would be better to separate and not have babies than accidentally leave it too late and end up with a litter.

I believe that I read somewhere that bonds don't count until the bunnies have passed puberty? I'm sure someone can explain that further if what I read was correct.

Goodluck with your news babies :) Keep us updated!

I would separate them until the boy or girl are fixed, some rabbits can mature quite early!

Also I agree bonds are really bonds until they have reached maturity as they are just baby bunnies who are harmless and unhormal, in some cases this can grow to be an actually bond. I had 2 girls neither were fixed and they even had there babies in the same cage :)

Thanks everyone. Great advice and kind of what I suspected. I think the breeders been lucky so far to have not had accidental litters!

After the awful weather we've had the last 2 days I've now decided to keep them as house bunnies and dedicate half of my second lounge to them! Any advice on this or links to relevant threads would be great!!!!

Thanks everyone. Great advice and kind of what I suspected. I think the breeders been lucky so far to have not had accidental litters!

After the awful weather we've had the last 2 days I've now decided to keep them as house bunnies and dedicate half of my second lounge to them! Any advice on this or links to relevant threads would be great!!!!

I also have a care site just about housing rabbits indoors. (I've kept house rabbbits for more than 25 years.)
Http://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com

Latest posts

Back