New housing plan...help please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lily2521

Reaction score
Sorry for all of the housing questions, we're getting ready for bunny (3 weeks to go!) and so we're starting to put things together, and figuring out buns home is step 1!

After talking with DH, we've decided we'd like something that will blend in with our furniture, so we don't want to do a dog crate.

Of the 3 bunnies we're considering adopting, two are about 5 pounds, and one is 3 pounds, so none of them are very large. With that said, I want to make sure we're still supplying whatever bun we get with enough space.

We're going to build something like this:

http://www.therabbithouse.com/indoor/cupboard-hutch.asp

http://codfishhouse.com/category/projects/

I've found a couple of different ikea cabinets that should give bunny more than enough room inside.

My question is, when making something like this, as a person new to bunnies, what things do I need to watch out for, and take into consideration to keep bunny safe?

We will put linoleum or something down on the floor, to help with water spills, and I'll supply a couple of small rugs for bunnies feet. As far as the hole between the two cabinets (we'll make sure aren't too rigid), and the wiring on the front of the doors (is there anything I should/shouldn't use here?, is there any specific material I should try to get, or try to avoid?

Any other tips when making something like this?

Thanks!

Sounds like you've considered most things which is good! I can't the of many other things, apart from the wood been non toxic to rabbits and painted with an animal safe paint. Rabbits tend to chew on their cages so you'll need to either cover up any wood that could be chewed (could cover every exposed wood with lino) or some other similar ideas. I also suggest sealing the gaps between the flooring you put in and the walls, so spilled water or pee doesn't seep under it

Sounds like you've considered most things which is good! I can't the of many other things, apart from the wood been non toxic to rabbits and painted with an animal safe paint. Rabbits tend to chew on their cages so you'll need to either cover up any wood that could be chewed (could cover every exposed wood with lino) or some other similar ideas. I also suggest sealing the gaps between the flooring you put in and the walls, so spilled water or pee doesn't seep under it

Good point about chewing, the only spots I can think of that would be a obvious chew hazard would be the arched openings we'd be cutting between the spaces.

That's a good tip to line it with linoleum, any other ideas on what I could cover it with? the linoleum is a good suggestion, but I am not very crafty so I worry it would be difficult for me to do!

Also, I found a used hutch that would work well, dimensions are 47" long, 16" deep, and 29 1/2" tall, would this be big enough for 3-4 pound rabbit? We would put a shelf on one side, which would cut the 29 1/2" tall part in 1/2, but only on the side where that shelf is, the other side would be the full height

I'm actually currently in the process of making my own hutch made from an old shelf, and am currently installing the linoleum. I'm incredibly uncrafty but I'm still managing to do it! You just need to cut it to the right size and stick it down with adhesive. Another option is the vinyl tiles which have a sticky back, the only problem being is that there will be small gaps between the tiles for the pee to soak through.

You could also use tiles, but this are a lot more slippery and cold during winter. Also the water would be absorbed by the grout between them.

If you don't mind the wood being chewed and the wood is untreated, it's a good built in teeth wearer for them. MY two rabbits on the farm have beautiful teeth, although they've been caged for two years, because they've been chewing on the wood my dad left for them in their pens. :) they'll be coming to live with me soon, then they'll be free bunnies again ;-) (we just couldn't leave them free with coyotes and other predators running around)

Latest posts

Back