Litter training an older bun?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamsterdance

Reaction score
Any tips on litter training an older bun?
Oscar was adopted from my local humane society in March by my brother and he is 6. My brother didn't do much as far as trying to box train him, and in the last month or so since he's been in my care I've gotten him to pee exclusively in the box, but he poops all over their enclosure. I sweet up the poop every night and put it in his box.
I've managed to fully box train the female he's bonded to- however she is much younger. Any tips on what I can do to help the little guy?
I'm hoping to bond them with my pair and have them all in my room, and I'm willing to work with him a lot on it (I'm not expecting perfection either, just an improvement hopefully). If I were to put them in my room with my current pair he'd need to be quite a bit better otherwise I'd have to rethink their pen.

Any tips on litter training an older bun?
Oscar was adopted from my local humane society in March by my brother and he is 6. My brother didn't do much as far as trying to box train him, and in the last month or so since he's been in my care I've gotten him to pee exclusively in the box, but he poops all over their enclosure. I sweet up the poop every night and put it in his box.
I've managed to fully box train the female he's bonded to- however she is much younger. Any tips on what I can do to help the little guy?
I'm hoping to bond them with my pair and have them all in my room, and I'm willing to work with him a lot on it (I'm not expecting perfection either, just an improvement hopefully). If I were to put them in my room with my current pair he'd need to be quite a bit better otherwise I'd have to rethink their pen.

Hey! My buns name is Oscar too! I think our buns are similar with their litter habits. Most poos are inside his litter tray and his all of his pee is in his litter box. Keep doing what your doing, thats teaching your bun that poop only goes there. When I brought mine home and he started pooing I made sure I was within his eyesight and moved his poops to the litter box and I tapped the hay rack. He quickly learnt that he should poop in the litter tray (its like sometimes he forgets 😂) and eat his hay at the same time. It is much easier of the rabbit is neutered/spayed so if it is then it shouldn't take too long. My rabbit is not neutered (yet, very soon I hope because he is hormonal) and he is doing great for a rabbit who hasn't been neutered so just keep doing that, overtime he will get used to it

Back