English Lops?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twokidsandafarm

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
This is my first post here, so I hope I'm doing this right. ;). I currently raise French Angoras and New Zealand's through 4-H, I'm thinking about getting into English Lops too. I've heard they easily get frostbite on their ears, then they chew on their own ears? Is this true? If so, is there a way to prevent this? I know in the winter months rabbits should have lots of straw in their hutches to keep warm. Are their any other things I should know about the breed, before I make a decision to start raising them? Would it be a bad idea to keep them in wire cages?
Thanks!

I have an English lop as an indoor bunny. So I'm partial and I have to say that they are awesome. However there are lots of precautions to take with them, they are not considered a starter bun. Yes their ears can and do get frost bit. You must also clean them regularly (their ears) as they do produce a lot of wax. I haven't read of them eating their own ears, but it is extremely important to keep their nails trimmed so that they don't damage them when they scratch or step on them. They can be very prone to head tilt if you don't keep their ears good and clean. They don't mature for bearing babies until around 7 months of age. There's more, but these are some of the major things to consider.

Latest posts

Back