Help with Breed Suggestions?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erimax24

Reaction score
I was blessed this past year with a little bunny. My parents surprised me with him, so I don't know what breed he was. But I assume he had some sort of Netherland Dwarf in him maybe mixed with something else. He was only 1.9 pounds when he died and he had a very small frame. Unfortunately when I had him for only 4 months, he got e. cunniculi and died.

I have mourned him and I am now in the market for a new bunny, but I get to pick what breed this time. I was wondering what everyone suggested. My Finn was very social, he was out all of the time and loved to give kisses and sit on my lap. I am looking for a breed that has a high likelihood of having a similar temperament. Size isn't a large concern of mine, but if I could choose, I would probably say I'd like a smaller rabbit. As long as it's not Flemish Giant size, I should be fine :)

Thanks so much, I'd love to hear all about your bunnies and what you suggest!

Personality varies so much! I had two minilop brothers from the same litter who grew up together and yet ended up so different in temperament. One bold and snobby, the other dumb and smoochy. There really is no way to be sure what you're getting! I agree that going to a shelter and interacting with lots of rabbits is the best way to get a sense of all the personalities out there and pick the one that feels best.

I'm going to third a shelter or bunny rescue. You'll maybe find a bun that's already neutered with the personality you're looking for. Babies are cute and sweet, but you just never really know the true personality til they're a few months old.

Yeah check out shelters there are so many great buns out their. My Bambi is a mix of whatever bunny breed and he is very sweet. Holland Lops also seem to have very nice personalitys. Tiny Dwarf rabbits can be highly strung so they are probably not the best choice.

I'm going to +1 everyone on the shelter idea. :)

My two are from a breeder, and their personalities have changed drastically as they've grown. Specifically my mini lop Clementine - she was such a cuddly ball of love as a baby, and after growing older and growing into her adult personality she's become way more standoffish, independent, etc. Not necessarily a bad thing and I love her madly, but it just shows that they can change pretty significantly as they grow. If you get an adult bun, you know exactly what you're in for. :)

I have two mini lop brothers, and I am in love! All I have ever had is mini lops! I've heard of other really nice breeds, but mini lops have had my heart for the past 5 years I've had them! I think they are the best but that's only my opinion! I hope you find the best new companion! :) here is a pic of my mini lop... Just to give you an idea;)

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1412020840.313438.jpg

Back