What type of angora for me?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rattusknits

Reaction score
So i hope this is the right place for this. Anyways i've had dozens of rabbits in the past but in recent years have been keeping rats, but after this current mischief i'm going to be getting 1 or two angoras (so they can have company so probably a male and female that are both fixed) but im having trouble deciding on breed. I am doing this to have pets and also for the fiber since i'm a knitter and LOVE angora yarn, i was one that is relatively easy to groom (i heard some mat up more easily than others) good temperament-obviously- and that are pluckable as opposed to shaving when their coats shed. Suggestions and reasoning very very welcome!

As for preference i don't like the ones with so much wool on their face, i do like he looks of the french and satin but may be willing to get a german or giant after your suggestions^^ size is of no concern, i'm willing to provide for any size bunny!

I'm not sure how available they would be, but Google the English Angora. They're unbelievably sweet and more poodley than the more common angoras.

Since she wants a rabbit that can be plucked and doens't have the face wool, an English Angora would not be a good choice. Most lines don't moult, or don't moult very often, so plucking doesn't happen. English also tend to be harder to groom and can be more prone to matting (some coat types are worse than others).

any down sides to the french? I've done some research but they usually just focus on the plus sides of the french and satin,

you could do this: find a breeder who crosses english and french, looking for the clean face. Then you get the best of both worlds.. the texture of the english (which i've been told is great) and the pluckability of the french. I am not an expert, only going by what I"ve read on different rabbit boards.

I haven't heard of any disadvantages with the French Angora. They might be harder to find, but that honestly depends on where you live and how far you are willing to go to get one. Some things just come down to personal preference. I've really just heard that they are fairly easy going and easy to groom. I haven't looked too much into them (the main angora breed I haven't had), so don't have first hand knowledge of them.

We have a French Angora named Blizzard. He is our first long hair breed, so I was concerned with care at first. With brushing for a couple of minutes each day, he is actually easy to keep knots to a minimum. We also keep hair length trimmed back just a little which helps keep the debris from the litter box being tracked out of it, otherwise we can tell exactly where he has been from the trail of hay in the house! He's a terrific guy, craves attention and very laid back. As with any rabbit, the key is getting the floor at their level and providing as much attention as they want!

Latest posts

Back