Bonding with my rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayla123

Reaction score
Hi :)
I have two female rabbits there only 13 weeks old and have only had them for about 2-3 weeks now .. I was wondering if anyone could give me advise on how to bond with my rabbits . They don't like when I pet them in there cage or like to be picked up they do like when I pet them when I have them on my lap when I'm brushing them but how do I build a strong relationship with my rabbits ? I see that other people's rabbits comes up to them to ask for cuddles and to be petted how do I achieve this ?
How did u guys build a strong bond with your bunnies ?
Thxs for the advice
Micaela

Hmm in still bonding with my rabbit as well. I just picked he or she up today and carried them to my living room and sat them in my lap and petted them for a good two hours and I think he or she is beginning to trust me and bond with me as he or she gave me some kisses.

Not all rabbits will come up to you and ask for cuddles. It completely depends on the individual.

The first few days in a new home, they are still adjusting and really shouldn't be picked up and held at all. They are typically too scared to resist and it takes an experienced eye to recognize when a rabbit is stressed. @SouthernNetherlandDwarf, I highly suggest letting bunny have a full 48 hours of undisturbed time in his cage.

Kayla123, it is normal for a rabbit to not want to be bothered inside its cage. That area should be their safe zone -- the place where they know they can go and not be disturbed. It is also usual for them to NOT like to be held. They tend to prefer their cuddles with both feet planted firmly on the ground. I have more detail on the process of how to bond with your bunny on a page here at my site. It just explains the process of how you can build that trust.

@ SouthernNetherlandDwarf, now that I re-read your post, perhaps I misunderstood. I read it to say that you just picked up (as in acquired) your rabbit today. But maybe that wasn't what you meant. :blushan:

Oh no I picked him up holding wise as usually he is scared about being picked up and I was able to help calm him this time that he didn't get scared. When I picked him up. It's ok we all make mistakes.

Agree with Blue Eyes, bunnies don't ask for affection the same way dogs do. They're a lot more subtle about showing that they like you, and how they do it depends on the individual rabbit.

A big part of bonding with them is simply demonstrating that you are not a threat to their safety. Rabbits are prey animals and it's their natural instinct to be afraid of anything that looks big enough to eat them. Holding them in your hands, to them, is very much like an eagle catching them to kill and eat! That can be very scary and should not be forced on your rabbit until they trust you. Rabbits like being on the ground, it feels more natural to them. Just spend lots of time with them passively, read a book or just watch and talk to them. Don't chase them, or touch them unless they approach you. Let them get used to you being there and being a friendly presence that wouldn't hurt them.

Another big part is food bribery! Rabbits can be very food-motivated. It definitely helps to associate you with yummy yummy goodness. When it's feeding time, you take the bowl out of the cage and sit by it and fill it pellets so they have to come to you to eat. Talk to them a lot so they associate your voice with good things. Same when you feed them treats, like bits of banana or fresh herbs. I say "Come here come here!" in a high pitched voice whenever I have food, and now my bunnies come flying towards me whenever they hear it.

Building trust is just a matter of paying attention to your bunnies' comfort level and building your own unique relationships. Here's two of mine for an example.

Sasha lets me know she loves me by coming to where I sit and stretching out on the floor, letting me pet her. As bunnies are prey animals, you can tell their comfort level by whether they are in position to bolt. The more out of position they are, the longer it would take for them to get up and run if a threat appears. Stretching out on the floor shows she feels very relaxed and not threatened by me, a predator animal 50 times her size! That is a huuuuge amount of trust, and it's one of the subtle ways a bun shows that in her eyes, you're okay.

Merlin is a tough one. We have a very antagonistic relationship, mostly due to the fact that he is a stonking brat. He nips me quite often when he's moody. He doesn't really let me pet him. But somehow, I always find the little tosser bouncing around wherever I am in the house. If I'm watching tv in the living room, he's sniffing around my butt and jumping into my lap only to jump off angrily when I try to pet him. If I'm in the kitchen, he's stepping on my feet hoping for food scraps. If I'm in bed, well looky who just jumped up to see what I'm doing. He's just always around me, wanting to be near me, just not wanting to be bothered by my grabby paws. That's just how he is, that's his comfort level, and that's fine by me.

Every bunny is different, and that's why they're so special to us. :)

I was able to bond very quickly with my bun Willa by having lots of floor time with her and finding out where and how she likes to be petted. She loves her cheeks being rubbed at the same time while working up behind the ears and in between her eyes which results in her flopping down and seeming to sigh. Our ritual is I lay on the floor and spend some time on my phone and as soon as she sees me she has to come investigate by jumping on my back or sniffing my phone. She's even climbed up my shoulders. She hates sitting in chairs though. I believe if I had some of those pet stairs she would enjoy it more because she can climb up instead of being picked up. Which she's no fan of. She only tolerates that to be let out of her cage since it's up off the ground. Try laying in the floor with healthy foods for your bunny so you don't have to worry about feeding your bunny to many treats. It comes in time but with my Willa the more I tried the easier it was. She's free roam and only.goes in her cage at night so it's quite easy.

Latest posts

Back