a couple questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mygrl2k3

Reaction score
Firsti just have to say i love this siteand everyone here. I probably spend too much time here:) I have had Luv for a fewmonths now i beleive. I didnt have this problem with my other bunny.Her bottom is very dirty. She is a big bunny so i dont know if itscause she cant clean herself. I don't mind cleaning her but it gets sostuck on her that i am afraid i am going to hurt her. Just a little bitago i get some paper towels to clean her and my 4 yr old son brings mebaby wipes and walks away. Its like his way of saying thats your jobmom not mine. :D Are the baby wipes ok to use on her? I thinki read about cutting her fur. Should i give her a haircut? Also hershedding is more on the bottom. She has a thinner coat on the bottom.Kinda looks like someone got sizzor happy with her.I am going to get the timothy hay friday when i get paid. Will she losesome weight getting off the other stuff?

I only have the one rabbit but i have two dogs and three cats and aempty fish tank i am going to put some big goldfish in soon. I have twobunny cages and want another bunny but i can't get one. My husband saysme and the new bunny would have to move lol. so no new bunny.But i did go back to the shelter and i am going to give them a fewhours a week after school is out helping with the animals. I love allanimals but can't afford to feed anymore. besides my husband i have avery good friend that says no more pets. lol. Those cutebunnies at the shelter were begging me to take them home.Well thats all the questions i can think of right now.

Cristy

By all means, a haircut should be beneficial. Just be careful not to cut into sensitive skin.

Messiness sometimes indicative of too rich a diet in protein, such asmight be obtained frompellets with more than 16% alfalfacomposition; alfalfa hay consumption, in addition to alfalfa pellets;excess feeding or greens and/or vegetables, leading to loose stool;excessive feeding of treats with a sugar base or as a majoringredient. Timothy hay adds fiber, with little protein, andscours intestinal tract of potential fur blocks, as well as acting as a"filler" for a bun who made need some dieting and conditioning.

Proper diet adjustments would most likely lead to weight reduction andmore agility upon the part of the rabbit to clean herself, unless sheis geriatric. Fairly good rule of thumb is to feed one ounceof 16% alfalfa pelleted food per pound of rabbit.Adjust from there, depending upon desired gain or weight loss.

Buck

First i must say make weight loss a priority. Ihad a heavly over weight rabbit called Jessica. As she got older herjoints got weaker and she refused healthy food options. Eventually shegot too weak and died. She was the first rabbit i had ever had, shelasted6 years but no doubt she could of lasted longer if shewas not as heavy as she was. So please make sure you help with weightloss.

In the meantime regular water and a cloth will help clean her. Make thewater slightly warm (only slightly) just so the coldness of the waterdosn't panic her.

Keep us updated.

Catherine x:)

Hi Mygrl2K3,

We enjoy your company too!

I wouldn't recommend using baby wipes on your rabbit.

If you have to use a soap, make it a very mild soap or very mildshampoo in the water. You have to be careful of skinirritations. You can fill a tub or a basin with about an inchof water (no more because rabbits can go into shock when put in water),put a towel in there so that the bunny has something to griponto. Try to hold thefront half ofher outof the water. After you'd used the soapy water,dump it and fill it with clean water and use that to rinseoff.

-Carolyn

ok thanks for all the advice. I will get thetimothy hay friday and get me a food scale and find my scale to weighme then her, so i can feed her what was suggested by herweight. I wouldn't want her life to end sooner thanshe should cause of being overweight. As of right now i dont think ioverfeed though. She gets one bowl of the pellets but as everyone saidthe alpha grass is high in calories so i will see that she slims downsome. Thanks again.

Cristy

Does anyone use rabbit powder i have seen it in apet store you kinda sprinkle it on the buns then brush it out.....i dobrush my lil guy and he cleans himself ALOT! I dont know ifanyone uses that or gives there buns a bath?

My oh my!!! First id like to say that lil boy onyour website is to cute! And him holding that bun OMG im trying tofigure out where his face starts!!! It looks like a dog!! :p

Latest posts

Back