Cat Got a Hold of a Baby Cottontail

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FranklinMarquette

Reaction score
So this afternoon our cat got a hold of a baby cottontail. I tried to find its original nest but had no luck. We are out in the middle of nowhere and do not have any rehab centers anywhere near us. It is currently in a box with a towel over it. I put some carrot and celery shavings as well as a bit of water. We have a house bunny so I have some experience taking care of rabbits but I don't know what to do with a wild one. It's just breathing normally but not moving at all. It can move its feet, head, and front legs but is just laying there. No visible signs of blood or puncture wounds. For now ill leave it alone and let it calm down. It's fairly big and probably is weened.

Thanks!

I would put in there what it is used to eat, grass, weeds like plantain, yarrow, or whatever tasty stuff grows out there. I'm bretty sure it has never seen a carrot or celeries.
Also hay, hay never hurts.

Maybe some kitchen oatmeal (some, not a big heap), that is very easily to digest, can be used as a starter solid food for baby bunnies.

At least that is what I would do if it were a wild european rabbit, we donÄt have cottontails here, but there sure is some info how to care on wildlife websites.

Also here must be several threads on that topic.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
If he seems like he has been out and about, you might be safe to release him. Wild buns leave the nest at 3-4 weeks old. Their eyes open at 10 days... They're a lot more independent than domestic buns. :)

He's probably traumatized from being grabbed by a cat, so that's probably why he isn't moving.

As for your cat, I'd be hesitant to let it back out unattended. I know its a pain in the neck, but as a pet owner, you're responsible for whatever trouble your cat gets into.

That might just be me though... After becoming a rabbit owner, I trust dogs to a degree, but cats are technically not "domesticated," persay.. I don't trust cats at all whatsoever.. Especially not around my rabbits.

I found a lady I'm bringing it to in the morning ... it's still breathing and alert just not moving yet. I've put some green grass in the box and i'll hope for the best.

If the baby is still not doing well by morning, and you have a vet nearby that will take the baby and help rehab it(if possible one that has experience doing this), that would be best.

If you still need info on caring for baby cottontails, this is a good link. Keep in mind though, that in some states it may be illegal to care for wildlife without the proper permits.
http://www.2ndchance.info/bunnies.htm

Latest posts

Back