Vet report for AJ. (Sorry if not appropriate)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kinai

Reaction score
Hi all,
Took AJ to the vet for a general physical and the vet was happy with what she saw. The only issue is AJ's back teeth are a bit sharp. Gonna cost me about 165 dollars but if it helps him in long term I'm going to do it, Even if I'm broke for the month. The guy at the Vet gave me a list of numbers to call for possible financial help though

If he doesn't have any sores in his mouth yet from the sharp points, and if he is still eating well(is maintaining a good weight), you could try to see if a dietary change helps. Orchard grass hay is very abrasive due to its high silica content, which helps with wearing down the teeth. I know of one rabbit owner that had really good success with it. Her bun was having to have dentals at least every 2 months. She started her bun on orchard grass hay and he was able to go a whole year before having to go back for another dental. Might be worth a try, though this will only work if it's not to the point of a sore mouth and a drop in appetite... oh and if your bun will actually eat the orchard grass :p

JBun,
Thanks for the advice! I am going to a local feed place with my mom (she's my ride as I can't drive) and I will definitely look into it. I may do the dental to get him to baseline and then go from there with him. She said it's not an emergency but it should be done soon. He has been reluctant to eat his hay although he does still eat it. Unless he's eating the majority at night. He puts some from the bowl (only thing I have right now for it) on the bottom of the cage but he's eating about half of what I give him in hay. I give him half an ounce of pellets and two large leaves of romaine heart lettuce and of course the hay. But that changes as of today. More pellets, added dandelions for a "treat" this morning. The romaine lettuce will stay till I can get to the store and pick up more veggies.

Are Frozen veggies ok? Or should they really be fresh? And if bought or grown fresh can I then freeze them or is that a no no?

Ok. I understand better. Gonna have to get some plants that are started from a plant place for some and I started seeds for some in my apartment. There are people who grow gardens where I live so I'll grab some stuff from there also. So if not thinking in terms of veggies could the greens be frozen? That way I could have a semi bulk batch of some spring/summer season greens for winter treats. I know herbs can be frozen.

Latest posts

Back