Looking for advice on a very shy Lionhead

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amaakir

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
My name is Juan and I'm new to the forums and the entire bunny experience.
A month ago I adopted a Lionhead Rabbit. the guy that gave it to me said he was approximately a couple of months old (But I can't really say that for sure, any expert wanna wage on how old my rabbit is?)

His name is Ender, and here he is:
Ender.jpg

Anyway, I've been doing a lot of homework and I think I've got everything covered, however I may be dealing with a very shy rabbit here and I want some advice on how to get along with him more (Or maybe I'm just being paranoid :p)
First of all, there has been an improvement since he came home with me, at first, he'd only stay in his cage, hidden, each time he heard a noise or I came near the cage. Now he can tolerate my presence and I can even pet him on his forehead and he'll just flatten out and shut his eyes which I believe is a good thing, but this only happens while he's inside the cage.
Whenever he comes out to play or exercise, he'll only do so by hugging walls.
He'll do lots of binkies and running around, but he'll never go out in the open, he moves around the perimeter of the room without exception. Is this normal?
Also, whenever he's out, he'll never let himself get pet, I'll lie on the floor and he'll come sniff a bit, he's even had a treat from my hand but when I try to pet him he'll run away. This has been going on for a month so I'm either getting some confusing signals from him or I'm doing something wrong.
He's not agressive in any way, he's only bit at me a couple of times when I tried to brush his fur the last time and he's never growled at me. Should I be more patient or should I be doing something else to make him feel comfortable?

P.S. Any Lionhead owner have some tips on grooming Ender? I've tried everything to make him feel comfortable and safe during grooming but he'll always try to get away and last time I got nipped. This worries me since his bedding sticks a lot in his fur and he's always covered in it and I really want him to stay clean so he won't have any problems later on.

Thanks in advance, guys!

treats is just about always the way to a rabbits heart lol you just gotta keep repeating every day with a treat in your hand and let him come to you,
i usually lie down on the floor with a good book or my kindle and let Andy sniff me ( he usually likes to crawl on my back lol) when a rabbit wants to be pet they will lower their head when you start to pet, usually when Andy is outside of his cage he's to busy to be petted and just wants to play/run. Remember to give a rabbit some space too, I never pick Andy up in his cage, i try to let his cage be a safe place.
just by curiosity what are those blue spots on Ender? he's so cute!!! i'm sure he'll be very happy!

Are all of your floors that smooth? Some buns seem to feel more secure on a rug. My rabbits will sit on a rug in the middle of the kitchen and not move rather than venturing out into the shiny floored open.

Thank you for your replies!

@BlackMiniRex : That's the blue bedding made of paper I've been using for his cage, it's the Kaytee brand Clean & Cozy. He usually grooms himself off of it once he's out of his cage. His rabbit hole inside the cage is clean and has no bedding ( he made it clear since day 1, he made sure to throw it out before he would lie down lol) Thank you so much for your answer, I'll be more patient and win his heart through his belly :)

@missyscove : Thanks for your reply! I actually DID read about it and got a small rug for him today, I'll see how it goes once I get home :)

One of the ways I've found super helpful in encouraging shy rabbits (both mine were shy to the point of aggression when I first got them) is training them to do silly tricks. Like stand up on hind legs on command. Or touch your finger with their noses. That way you aren't doing anything potentially scary like (in my rabbits' cases) petting them, but you are still doing something with them and a treat. That may lead to a more comfortable relationship enabling more cuddles and pets. That method is my personal favorite.

It is pretty normal for most rabbits to not pay much attention to us owners while they are out playing. My rabbits pretty much ignore me and want me to ignore them while they are busy exploring and looking around, especially when then are in a new area or one they haven't been in for a while. The only time they will accept pets is when they are sufficiently tired out and ready for a rest, then they will either come up to me or let me sneak up and give them head rubs. There are exceptions though. Some rabbits will more closely bond with you and be more interested in what you are doing than in their surroundings. Though out of my 7 rabbits, only one is like this. You may also find that as your bun gets more used to his surroundings and to you, that he will start forming a closer bond with you and want more attention from you. But this can take time to build a trusting relationship like this. How long it takes really depends on each individual rabbits personality.

Ravenousdragons suggestion to teach tricks and reward is a good idea. It will keep interactions with your bun positive, which will in turn help your bun bond with you. Though if you do use treats, it's better to use healthy treats like veggies, though these do need to be introduced into the diet gradually as to not cause digestive problems(start with one at a time and a small amount and gradually increase as long as there are no signs of mushy poop or upset stomach). If you do use sugary treats like fruit, they need to be introduced gradually as well and fed in very limited amounts, though personally I prefer not to risk feeding sugary treats to my buns. And pay close attention for any signs of digestive upset(lack of appetite, belly pressing, runny or mushy poop) and discontinue feeding that particular treat if you see any of these symptoms.
http://www.lagomorphs.com/salad.pdf
http://www.lagomorphs.com/greenspellets.pdf

This link also has some good advice on ways to bond with your rabbit.
http://flashsplace.webs.com/bondingwithyourbunny.htm

With your grooming issue and the bedding, if you have bedding throughout your rabbits cage, I would suggest removing the bedding and only have bedding/litter in a litter box, and just leave the cage floor empty or you can use something like fleece fabric to line it(unless your bun decides to pee on the fleece). Make sure the litter box is plenty big so your rabbit is comfortable hanging out in there. And if you don't already, it also helps to keep your rabbits hay in the litter box(cleaning out soiled hay regularly) as it encourages them to poop and pee in there(they poop while they eat), either piled in a corner your bun doesn't pee in or in a hay rack above the litter box. Also if you switch the litter to a pelleted litter, then you won't have the problem of it getting stuck in your rabbits fur. I personally prefer the wood pellet litter.

Hey Amaakir! Welcome! I agree with above, sounds like you are doing everything right. Your rabbit loves and trusts you cause you say he flattens out and closes his eyes sometimes when you pet him. So good job and good luck.

All of ours are rescues, and with the shy ones we just use time and patience--let him come to you. It may take some time, but feeding and treats are all interactions, and I use Cilantro as a bribe. Once they get used to it, they will do just about anything for more. One thing to keep in mind, it is the "RARE" bunny that is a lop rabbit--most are fairly independent and will come to you when "they" want something. I have one that used to hide and now she follows me around and bumps my ankles and comes when called--she really is an exception. Again, time and patience.

Hey, guys!

Thank you so much for your answers, I feel a lot more secure on reading my rabbit and I feel a lot more at ease because sometimes I feel like he hates me :p

Just now I had a grooming session and it was painful, everything was going fine, I had half a raising which he very happily came close to grab from my hand, pet him until he was good and flat and then tried very gently carrying him on my lap to brush his fur. It escalated very quickly into grunts and kicks so I finished the session without brushing his entire fur so he would calm down.
I tried offering the rest of the raising but he wouldn't take it now, I've read how easy it is to bribe buns but mine doesn't seem to keen to bribery :p after I left the raising on the floor, he went ahead and took it, does this mean he's somehow offended? Are the grooming sessions going to get more difficult as he grows up?
Also, I've read some very confusing things on the web, some people say it's not wise to try to get the buns used to being carried and groomed, to let them feel comfortable in their own time, but then some other folks mention how important it is for them to get used to being picked up and groomed.
I feel like I am at a loss here, I've read Lionheads require a lot of brushing and I don't want the sessions to be this stressful for both of us, any help would be awesome!
Thanks in advance!

Edit. If brushing is this hard I don't want to think of how difficult nail clipping or cleaning scent glands is going to be!

In general, my rule of thumb is do something "unpleasent" to an animal (e.g. brushing) for exactly as long as it will take treats. So give him treats WHILE you are brushing him. If he stops eating them, immediately stop brushing and let him go. That way, he associates brushing with treats- so it's a good thing! At first, there is a good chance, you will not be able to brush him at all. But in time (perhaps quite a bit of time), you will be able to brush him.

i would get him used to being picked up, you'll probably need to pick him up for quite a few things (grooming,vet, etc)
and it sometimes helps if you give him a small bowl of pellets while you groom him to put him at ease.

You might want to bring your bunny to a groomers. Mine likes being brushed but I can't for the life of me cut her nails and they're getting pretty long so that's the advice I've had from friends and online users. Just keep trying for now, it may get used to it but keep that in mind in case it doesn't get better.

@RavenousDragon: I'll give that a try, however how do I make sure my bun isn't full by the time he needs grooming? When I try to bribe him with treats he most of the time refuses because he might be full, or at least I think so.

@Whiterabbitrage: I've got the plastic ones that can be weared as gloves, similar to this one but a different brand.

@BlackMiniRex: Thanks, I will try. I definitely may need some practice picking him up, so far I've only had dogs and cats as pets and being a first timer with rabbits I may need some adjusting to do myself.

@Charmander: Thank you! We've got a Petco pretty close, so I might take him there, I haven't asked if they do rabbits, though. I'll try to make it a habit of him being picked up.

Btw anyone have any idea why he hugs the walls when moving around? I've tried placing a large rug so he won't have to deal with slipery floor tiles, but he still refuses to get away from the walls when moving around. Other rabbit owners I know are pretty confused about this behavior.
Ender came from a pet store where they kept him in this tiny cage, maybe that has something to do with it?

Last edited by a moderator:
It may be he's just not feeling completely secure yet in his new environment. Rabbits will tend to hug walls or go under things like couches or other furniture, as it helps add a sense of security. With rabbits in the wild they have warrens/ tunnels as their home and safe place to be, but our house rabbits don't necessarily have tunnels to go to to feel safe, so the next best thing is being next to walls or underneath furniture. As your bun starts feeling more comfortable with his environment, I'm sure he'll start venturing out into the open more. It sounds like he's just a little timid and may need some encouragement by using his food and treats to gradually move him away from the walls so he can learn that he is safe out in the open too.

@RavenousDragon: I'll give that a try, however how do I make sure my bun isn't full by the time he needs grooming? When I try to bribe him with treats he most of the time refuses because he might be full, or at least I think so.

@Whiterabbitrage: I've got the plastic ones that can be weared as gloves, similar to this one but a different brand.

@BlackMiniRex: Thanks, I will try. I definitely may need some practice picking him up, so far I've only had dogs and cats as pets and being a first timer with rabbits I may need some adjusting to do myself.

@Charmander: Thank you! We've got a Petco pretty close, so I might take him there, I haven't asked if they do rabbits, though. I'll try to make it a habit of him being picked up.

Btw anyone have any idea why he hugs the walls when moving around? I've tried placing a large rug so he won't have to deal with slipery floor tiles, but he still refuses to get away from the walls when moving around. Other rabbit owners I know are pretty confused about this behavior.
Ender came from a pet store where they kept him in this tiny cage, maybe that has something to do with it?

no problem,
my rabbit used to hug the walls too, now he has come out more in the open, don't worry, i'm pretty sure with some TLC and trust with you and him, he'll be out in the open playing :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Your Ender sounds a lot like our Fluffy. We got her as a baby right after she was weaned.

She behaved a lot like yours for the first year except that we weren't even able to get her to "melt" while petting her until quite a bit later.

She doesn't like to be brushed very much. At first I was using a wire brush but I figured out fairly quickly that it was too scratchy for her. I got a small rubber brush instead and she allows that, although I do have to chase her down for a grooming session.

She also tended to hug the walls when running loose for the first two years. Only recently has she begun to hang out in the middle of the room. The change was when we took the old blanket she likes to play with and spread it out in the middle of the floor. It seems that wherever her we put her blanket, that is where she will go. She loves to use it as a launchpad for binkies and when we put her in her outside pen, we drape the blanket over the side so she can have a tent to hide in. I strongly suggest finding a rug or blanket that Ender can claim as "HIS". As soon as Fluffy had her blanket she seemed much calmer and more secure.

You could try to find a super soft brush (like a baby's hairbrush) for your grooming sessions. That is the only grooming tool I've found that will get Fluffy's teeth clicking in pleasure.

I empathize with what you are going through ! We are on our FIFTH bunn(ies) over a thirty year period. Last year we chose Benjamin and Bonnie (siblings/mini-lops) at the Michigan State Fair. Got them as appropriately young as you can. This is thee first time we have not had loving, nicely-responding bunny. We attributed it to being a bonded PAIR. They allow us to be THEIR 'ATTENDANTS.' Trust me, we treat them absolutely royally, as house bunnies. Organic stuff in addition to their hay and alfalfa pellets. The female occasionally acts as if we are going to 'kill' her, bolting away. Other times, she allows petting, and may come to us if we have treats. The male vacillates between brushing against my leg w/ his nose on rare occasion, to grunting and charging if I come close to his "cove" behind the living room sofa. Oh...and YES, they are both "fixed." They are 13 months old now. We love the little stinkers, but there are times (especially the charging/grunting) when I say "Geez Louise," it is time to send them packing...I think given eleven months of TLC, I could have trained a backyard SQUIRREL to be tamer than this couple ! Oh, and we are retired, so it is not as if we go away for long periods. No, we are here and "with" them the very vast majority of the day.
I discount any "abuse" of them by the breeder/family. They just flat out treat us with disdain 99% of the time. The best out of them is when I lay on the floor, they have a tendency to climb on my back (or use to). Now they more put their front feet on my back (to check on if I am dead??? LOL)

After such marvelous success with our dear, dear departed Holland Lop (Paddy Boy) and previous Lionhead/Holland mix, this is indeed a bummer-disappointment.
Again, empathy for the OP.

Latest posts

Back