Aggressive bunny. Help!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aperez

Reaction score
My rabbit (Thor) has recently become agressive. Thor is neutered and he was calm. My husband and I got a new kitten (Lit). Lit and Thor have been together for about 2 months now and Thor does not like her AT ALL. He attacks her and she's just trying to play so she doesn't know better. Keeping them separated is almost impossible because we are moving so there won't be much space where we are staying. Thor has recently started to become aggressive towards to my mom and I. He has bit my mom and charges at her. He has tried charging at me and has bit me twice. How do I stop this?? I am not going to get rid of either of my pets. They have to learn to live with eachother. He is a Flemish giant and is 9 months old.

A new animal has invaded his territory. It's a natural response for rabbits to become territorial and be protective when this happens, especially when it involves a predator invading their territory. When adding a new animal to a family/home this is something that has to be planned for as it is always a possibility for the animals not to get along, not just with rabbits but with any animal. You will need to be very careful with their interactions. Not only can your rabbit cause serious injury to your kitten if he feels threatened enough, but a scratch/bite from a cat can contain very harmful bacteria that can be potentially fatal to rabbits.

The best thing would be to keep them separate, but if this is something that is not going to happen, then I would suggest you read up on how to properly bond rabbits with each other. If you understand how to bond two rabbits together, it may help you to come up with some ideas on how to help your rabbit get along with your kitten. Though there is no way to know if it will work since rabbits and cats communicate differently. Usually the best way to introduce a rabbit and cat is by keeping them in separate areas and gradually letting them get to know each other through a gate or partition.

Him biting you and others is called referred aggression. Again, it is a natural response for rabbits when they feel their territory is being threatened. He is only protecting his territory and his tension from this is being manifest in biting you and others. Usually this is not intentional and is just from the tension created from the situation. The only ways to resolve this are to either remove the kitten from the equation or to find a way to truly bond them so that your rabbit no longer has the need to protect his territory. You may have the best luck at this bonding attempt in your new place as it will be neutral territory.

Latest posts

Back