Some of my rabbits take great joy in attacking the sweeping brush.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagomorphic

Reaction score
Some of my rabbits get so aggressive with the sweeping brush. I have lost the count of times that I've been literally showered with pee.

Why might this be? Could it be that I use the same brush to clean all the rabbits' quarters, and having poor near-sight, they mistakenly take the brush forf another intruder?

I only have one rabbit and keep a special broom in her room and still she used to attack it. At first she got up on her hind legs and boxed it. Then after she got used to seeing it, she attacked it less each time. Now she either ignores it or follows it to get in the way of my sweeping. So maybe it's not smell that makes your rabbits attack the broom.

Some are way more territorial than others and don't like sharing, even with a broom. One of our bunnies loved to play fetch with a ball while Bun would attack anything rolling and tear it a new one, no matter how big the ball was it would get bit and popped.

Our bunnies do it too, to the broom and vacuum. They're funny things and don't like us sweeping in their space. Don't be worried, enjoy it because it's so cute!

My girls are spicey, and they both get up and tackle the brush when i
am cleaning the cage. It's funny, Snickers really did not like it. But now
she realises that i'm not after her and she gets more relaxed.
Furby only tackles the brush when it's verry close.
My guess is it's also being playful.
I like the noises they make when they do that. It sounds like a small roar.

That's so cute, Pepper. A small roar? Can you post a video? I'd love to see/ hear. Harvey isn't very vocal. I wish I would have gotten videos of her boxing the broom but I didn't think she would get used to it so quickly.

That's so cute, Pepper. A small roar? Can you post a video? I'd love to see/ hear. Harvey isn't very vocal. I wish I would have gotten videos of her boxing the broom but I didn't think she would get used to it so quickly.

I don't have a video of it. But when i have one, i'll place it here!
So Harvey is the silent strong type? cool !

Yeah, my bunny definitely does not like the brooms. I use separate brooms for sweeping the floor and cleaning up poop, but he hates them either way - lunging and growling at it. I thought it might have been a territorial thing :confused: Or maybe the sweeping sound? I have to put him in his pen before I bring the broom out. As for the vacuum, he doesn't like the loud noise so I move him further into the house, away from the noise. But I wonder why he dislikes the broom...

Yeah, my bunny definitely does not like the brooms. I use separate brooms for sweeping the floor and cleaning up poop, but he hates them either way - lunging and growling at it. I thought it might have been a territorial thing :confused: Or maybe the sweeping sound? I have to put him in his pen before I bring the broom out. As for the vacuum, he doesn't like the loud noise so I move him further into the house, away from the noise. But I wonder why he dislikes the broom...

Bunny's are sensitive, and they really do not like the loud noise. Snickers and Furby mostly go about their bussiness when i sweep. But i see that it triggers them. But hey, as a mom of bunny's ya gotta clean !
Your Bunny looks so sweet !

I wonder if it has to do with the level at which they see the world? Yesterday John went to give Harvey a quick pat. He often does this throughout the day and she loves it. Yesterday he was wearing shoes she had never seen and she freaked out and hid. So maybe rabbits see the broom as a threat because it's about their size( from their eye level) and periodically ( by bunnys mind it shows up unexpectedly for no reason) so I'm thinking territorial dislike for brooms.

My dearly departed Trixie used to love playing "kill the doo rag". I would flip my old doo rag and she would grunt and box at it. She would cover it up, then let me have it back to flip it up at her. We could play "kill the doo rag" for hours and hours. When I would pick her up, she had this weird, goofy grin on her little face and she would just kiss me like crazy.

I miss that little weird rabbit like the desert misses the rain.

Look closely at my avatar and you'll see Trix dominating her doo rag.

Last edited:
Bunny's are sensitive, and they really do not like the loud noise. Snickers and Furby mostly go about their bussiness when i sweep. But i see that it triggers them. But hey, as a mom of bunny's ya gotta clean !
Your Bunny looks so sweet !

Thank you, MissPepper! He looks sweet, but is a terror LOL! I saw a photo of your buns in another post! They are so adorable!

Yeah, Yixing hates loud noises. He thumps every time he hears a helicopter, but he has no issue with the loud noises that he makes himself :laugh: He knocks his current hay feeder around (I just purchased a ball shaped one to prevent him from knocking his hay around), thumps a lot overnight, and pushes things off shelves if they're in his way!

That's true, cleaning is a necessity but I keep sweeping and vacuuming to a minimum. Hopefully, he will get used to the broom very soon :rollseyes

My dearly departed Trixie used to love playing "kill the doo rag". I would flip my old doo rag and she would grunt and box at it. She would cover it up, then let me have it back to flip it up at her. We could play "kill the doo rag" for hours and hours. When I would pick her up, she had this weird, goofy grin on her little face and she would just kiss me like crazy.

Cool storie, sorry for the loss.

Thank you, MissPepper! He looks sweet, but is a terror LOL! I saw a photo of your buns in another post! They are so adorable!

Yeah, Yixing hates loud noises. He thumps every time he hears a helicopter, but he has no issue with the loud noises that he makes himself :laugh: He knocks his current hay feeder around (I just purchased a ball shaped one to prevent him from knocking his hay around), thumps a lot overnight, and pushes things off shelves if they're in his way!

That's true, cleaning is a necessity but I keep sweeping and vacuuming to a minimum. Hopefully, he will get used to the broom very soon :rollseyes

Bunny's are sometimes hard to get. Today i had a new toy for them. Snickers did not want to get out her cage. But she did, and i played with her and the coulourful ropes a while. Now it hangs in her cage and it's all fine.
She's a fierce bunny.

I loved all the stories you had from her. She "mentored" Pippi well in the art of being sassy in the Bunny Chat. :)

I loved all the stories you had from her. She "mentored" Pippi well in the art of being sassy in the Bunny Chat. :)

Every human who ever saw the "kill the doo rag" video then started believing my stories about her. In the wrong hands, some dumb ass would have given up on her, especially if they would not have fixed her. It took many years to chill her out, yet we were ALWAYS buddies. I still think of the throw the brush game. I would place it in front of her, then she would either give it to me or throw it as far as possible.

The fact that she waited for me to go back to work to hop onto the Rainbow Bridge speaks volumes as far as what I meant to her. It is not nearly as complex as what we humans would make it.

She was one of a kind, and I just wish she would have made a bigger imprint.

Cool storie, sorry for the loss.

Thank you. She was weird as can be, but she was my girl. We just had so much fun. I still think of when I used to play guitar and serenade her and Trigger. They would both chill, but every once in awhile when I was having a bad time with coming up with a bridge to the song, Trix would look up, slightly cock her head, and one ear would be up and the other would be down, as in "okay Dad- you can do better than this crap!"

We turned the doo rag thing into a game, and I think kill the brush could become a game. You just need someone else to help with the real cleaning.

You have Kill The Doo- Rag on video? I'd love to see it. is it on YouTube or can you post it here?

PM your email address and I will send it to you.

I don't know if the format was just not right, but I always got error messages when trying to upload the video.

Latest posts

Back