treats

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Furrryface

confused human
Reaction score
Baxter is spoiled beyond belief but I'm thinking what he begs for every morning isn't as good for him as I thought.

along with his craisins and salad in the morning, he would also get one Wild Harvest Bake shop "pretzel" and until he got it he wasn't happy, no matter what else I did.

they are expensive for what you get, and after looking a little closer, didn't seem all that good for him. I happened to go down the baby isle of the grocery store and saw the Gerber Graduates Fruit and Veggie Melts( they kinda look like a yogurt drop but they are freeze dried and crunchy). Those seem like a better option all around...so I got one to try for him..Bax wasn't so sure about the first one, but after he sniffed it and glared at me..decided to actually taste it..we've certainly got a new favorite!

most of his toys came from the baby section too....I"m wondering if I don't have a toddler in disguise!

Well, I know rabbits have a sweet tooth, and as a rare treat it wont hurt (2-4 pieces per day, depending on size, I would guess), but this stuff is clearly more than 50% pure sugar, same with craisins.
Too much sugar can cause tummy problems, rabbits digestion works very different than ours.

Dont fall for slogans like "No preservatives, artificial flavors or artificial sweeteners", that's because almost pure sugar doesn't need preservatives or sweeteners, and about "not artificial flavours" - that's a story on its own, but not that relevant here.
There is absolutly nothing healthy about that, not for toddlers, and much less for rabbits. It's candy.

With explicit bunny food one can hope that it isn't too bad, but there is too much overpriced crap on the market.

I make tiny cookies out of soaked pellets, oatmeal and very little sugar to use as treats.

Last edited:
Since they are dried, the sugar content of craisins is more concentrated. That means 1 teaspoon's worth should be the max allowance of treat for a single day.

Other than the occasional craisins or raisins, I avoid any manufactured 'treats.' Rabbits get just as excited about a slice of fresh fruit for a treat -- and there are no added chemicals or gelatin (like with Gerbers).

A slice of banana or apple will be just as appreciated.

It is suggested that if one offers a slice of apple, then that is the total treat quota for a given day. Same goes for those few craisins. One can alternate each day what type of treat is offered. But I'd stick mostly with actual fresh fruit.

Bax gets one craisin and his greens every morning (the greens vary..sometimes it's romaine, sometimes it's parsley, carrot tops or whatever else I've come across at the farmers market) and then one pretzel or other treat. he's not big on fruit....he'll eat whatever I give him eventually....the only thing he's outright refused to even give a nibble was an actual carrot!

when you think about it...wild bunnies don't dig the carrot up...they eat what they can reach!

Actually, some of mine dig and eat roots, mostly grass roots. Or topinampur in winter.

But true, in summer, when they have all kinds of weeds and grass they ignore carrots completly, and even apples. But then they get pellets rarely, so these make fine treats then.

Latest posts

Back