Odd behavior (Barbering & Nesting?)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snacks

Reaction score
Okay my un-neutered 8 month old MALE bunny is beginning to scare me. (I am saving up to get him neutered, maybe that will fix this) Basically he's barbering, then running to the corner of the room, digging around in the blankets, and then depositing his fur. He thumps while he does this. On top of that he has become a more picky eater. He is still eating, but he is eating slower and being more picky about it.

Here are some factors

1. Diet: He gets one cup of timothy pellets mixed with 'sun salad' every day, plus a clump of timothy hay the size of him is always available. I supplement that with raisins, carrots, apple, and kale.
2. Environment. He 6x4ft exercise fence enclosure with cardboard boxes and various toys available. Now that it's summer sometimes I have the AC on in the room and sometimes I don't. Could the changing temperature be affecting him?
3. Lifestyle: He is a single bunny, possibly bonded to me. I try to play with him 1-3 hours before work and 1-3 hours after. But I will admit I fail to do him justice every time.

My guesses:
Hormones: He's in puberty mode and he's humping, maybe he has some hormonal nesting instinct? But he's a boy.
Chilly: The constantly changing temperature is making him feel cold and he wants to make a warm nest?
Stress: I'm not giving him enough attention so he's picking up this behavior out of stress?
Diet: I hope this isn't the answer. I mean I'm giving him a pretty solid diet right?
Or will this most likely be solved when I buck up and get him neutered?

Should I throw away the fur clumps, leave them where they are, or put them in the corner of his cage?

He's always humping me and the nest he is building is on the edge of my bed. Is it just me or this getting romantic?

Actually, that sounds like the Sex Change Fairy paid you a visit :D

I've never heard of a male plucking fur and building a nest, on the other hand humping is a normal dominance behaviour of does and having a false pregnancy at this age would be quite normal.
Rabbits don't build nests because of the cold, they only do it when pregnant, or when they think they are.
Also, my males wouldn't be housebroken anymore with 8 months but spraying and marking everywhere.

Or you've got a very special boy there.

Last edited:
Are you sure it's a male? Because rabbits can be pretty hard to sex (buying an incorrectly sexed rabbit happens all the time) and the behaviour you are describing is clearly a false pregnancy.

About your diet. One cup per day sounds like a lot of pellets to me. Like 'ten times the dose I would give' a lot. Your rabbit isn't a baby anymore, so unless he's a Continental Giant and weights 16 kilos, I would really cut down on the pellets. To give you an idea, my rabbits are 1,5 kilos and 1,9 kilos and they get about 15g of pellets each everyday.
Er... what is a 'sun salad'? Raisins, apples and carrots do not constitute a correct diet for a rabbit, those are things that should be given exceptionnally as a treat and only small pieces. A rabbit should eat about 8% of his weight in vegetables everyday with 2/3 of leafy greens and 1/3 of hard vegetables. Of course the menu should be as varied as possible (I offer about 5 different vegetables every week, trying not give the same vegetables from one week to another). You should read the house rabbit society vegetable list :
http://rabbit.org/suggested-vegetables/

So, the diet has nothing to do with his (her, probably) behavior. But he's got waaaaaaay too much calories. You say he has hay available, which is good, but is he eating it? You say he eats less than before anyway, so give a lot less pellets and introduce new vegetables (slowly, one by one to avoid any upset stomach) or you'll have an obese rabbit before the end of the year, it will be bad for his health, and it's notoriously hard to make a rabbit lose weight (you can't really make them exercise ^^)

Awesome. I looked in to it on your advice and yeah Timmy is more of la Tammy. Thanks for the diet advice. I'm glad i came in here. I guess im just the classic pet parent who over feeds because I'm anxious. I'm gunna start feeding her appropriately now and start introducing more veggies.especially because you're right i don't think she eats enough hay. Thanks for the advice.

You're welcome! I hope you get enough money to get her spayed soon (phantom pregnancies aren't that great for her health and that's beside the cancer concerns). If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask!

My Snickers had a false pregnancy. Exactly the same behaviour. She really felt so unhappy. She got spayed, and now she does so well. Hormones can really do a lot to a young bunny.

Latest posts

Back